VMware Cloud Community
KSPJake
Contributor
Contributor

Crashed ESXI host

Recently, our ESXI host keep crashed every month with attached error.

it required to re-boot host and take about an hour to be rebooted.

Should I contact to manufacture or any idea to fix this issue internally?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @KSPJake,

This could be the result of different issues, as far as I can see there is nothing significant in the PSOD code, however maybe the dump logs indicate something.

Most often the PSOD issue is related to driver or firmware not being correctly updated as per VMware Compatibility and vendor matrix so I would recommend you to start from there by using the ESXi version, the vendor and the hardware you are using.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @KSPJake ,

Seems to be matching with this issue here --> https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2108130?lang=en_US 

Apart from the host upgrade recommended in the article, ensure network drivers and firmware's are also updated.

Based on the screenshot, I see that the host is running version 5.5. This is a end of life product and you should consider upgrading to a more recent version.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you are running anything like a production/critical workload on that host, you should consider that only 6.5 and later are still supported and updated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine, one thing that might help you is configuring a scratch partition in order to have log persistence in case of a PSOD.
That will help you to determine what is causing the issue.
It can be a bad driver, bad firmware or bad hardware.

As they said, please consider upgrading your hosts to esxi 6.5 or later.

Warm regards

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
If for some reason (licenses or hardware) you can't upgrade to a supported version, it's best to install the latest patch level
version ESXi 5.5 U3k    Release Name  ESXi550-201809001   Release Date  9/14/2018   Build Number 9919047
available. Attached link

Build numbers and versions of VMware ESXi/ESX (2143832)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2143832

Also consider updating the hardware firmware on the host, if it is a branded server such as IBM, Lenovo, Dell, HP firmware can be obtained from their respective support website.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos