VMware Cloud Community
l3gsh0t
Contributor
Contributor

Crash & strange behavior

I have a home-built ESXi host. It may not be totally certified, but has worked well for me for over a year. I recently started having strange issues with my VMs and with spinning up new VMs. My running VMs wouldn't respond correctly all the time, and new VMs wouldn't install at all (Ubuntu 20.04).

I feared a drive failure, so I reboot the host to see if anything would clear up. Once reboot all of my VMs were listed as numbers instead of their name and they were unresponsive.

This is just a lab for me, so no biggie... I yanked the primary datastore drive and set off to install ESXi 7u2. Installation went fine, and I was ready to install new VMs.

When I went to install an Ubuntu 21.04 server I received the same error I did before. Now I'm kind of stuck and am hoping for some help.

Does anyone have experience with this? Please see attached photo...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Haven't had that, I would try:

1. New iso image, checking validity after download. 

2. Boot from the  iso in live DVD mode instead of install mode to make sure your processor and such will support that version of Ubuntu.

3. Run memtest86 to make sure you don't have a RAM problem. Maybe do this first. 

Good luck.

Lou

0 Kudos
l3gsh0t
Contributor
Contributor

I've made some progress.

When I create the VM if I define the OS as a generic Linux 64, everything installs and works fine. If I define the flavor of Linux it craps out...

Never had to do that before... not sure why it's happening. I've been able to install many different versions of Linux and Win10Pro.

0 Kudos