VMware Cloud Community
jber2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Couple of questions before updating

Hi,

Before committing to updating my host I have a couple of questions i couldn't get answered online.

I am currently on a custom HPE image 6.5.0 and my goal is to update to 6.5.0 U3 (My machihe does not support newer versions according to HPE, "HPE ML 110 G9")

1. Can i skip updates? IE (Can i go from 6.5.0 directly to 6.5.0 U3, without updating to U1 or U2 inbetween?)
  2. Since I have installed a custom HPE image, do I download the vib from VMWARE or can I use the latest 6.5.0 U3 update directly from HP?
  3. In all update examples they recommend using esxcli software vib update instead of use esxcli software vib install because it could cause an unbootable state because some drivers would be overwritten... If I use the HPE custom image to update/install, isn't that what I want?
  4. In case of a failed update, can I revert to a previous state.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
I will try to clear your doubts
1. Yes, the updates and fixes packages are cumulative in VMware.

2. If you use a customizable image from the server manufacturer, the ideal is to use an update from the server manufacturer or if it is not available, then use the update available in VMware.

3. Using the update command is the recommended method for patch application. Using this command applies all of the newer contents in a patch, including all security fixes. Contents of the patch that are a lower revision than the existing packages on the system are not applied.

There are several methods to apply an update, but if you use the ESXi software CLI and something goes wrong you could have serious problems.

As a general rule to apply an update or Upgrade it is recommended to have a full backup of the VMs and a backup or all the details of the ESXi Host configuration.

link: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2008939

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.

View solution in original post

pdirmann01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1) Yes you can skip from 6.5.0 to 6.5U3. IF you were going from, for example, 5.5 to 6.7, you'd have to bump up to 6.x first, then to 6.7, In your case, you're fine to just go straight to 6.5U3.

2) You can do a base image upgrade, or just a patch level upgrade. The base image upgrade should come from HPe because that contains drivers and HPe utilities, which would also get upgraded if there were any changes from the base image you are running now to the HPe 6.5U3 (which I'm sure there were). If you opt to skip the driver/HPe utilities, using Update Manager can accomplish the same thing by patching your base image, versus upgrading it.

3) The main difference between the two is that upgrade will do a rip and replace if the driver exists already.

4) Yes, during the bootloader you will see Shift+R for Recovery. That will give you the opportunity to boot from your boot bank (the upgraded instance), or your alternate boot bank (the previous version). Note that if you choose to roll back, you cannot "roll forward" to the updated copy again. You'd have to re-upgrade/update the system. 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
I will try to clear your doubts
1. Yes, the updates and fixes packages are cumulative in VMware.

2. If you use a customizable image from the server manufacturer, the ideal is to use an update from the server manufacturer or if it is not available, then use the update available in VMware.

3. Using the update command is the recommended method for patch application. Using this command applies all of the newer contents in a patch, including all security fixes. Contents of the patch that are a lower revision than the existing packages on the system are not applied.

There are several methods to apply an update, but if you use the ESXi software CLI and something goes wrong you could have serious problems.

As a general rule to apply an update or Upgrade it is recommended to have a full backup of the VMs and a backup or all the details of the ESXi Host configuration.

link: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2008939

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
pdirmann01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1) Yes you can skip from 6.5.0 to 6.5U3. IF you were going from, for example, 5.5 to 6.7, you'd have to bump up to 6.x first, then to 6.7, In your case, you're fine to just go straight to 6.5U3.

2) You can do a base image upgrade, or just a patch level upgrade. The base image upgrade should come from HPe because that contains drivers and HPe utilities, which would also get upgraded if there were any changes from the base image you are running now to the HPe 6.5U3 (which I'm sure there were). If you opt to skip the driver/HPe utilities, using Update Manager can accomplish the same thing by patching your base image, versus upgrading it.

3) The main difference between the two is that upgrade will do a rip and replace if the driver exists already.

4) Yes, during the bootloader you will see Shift+R for Recovery. That will give you the opportunity to boot from your boot bank (the upgraded instance), or your alternate boot bank (the previous version). Note that if you choose to roll back, you cannot "roll forward" to the updated copy again. You'd have to re-upgrade/update the system. 

Hope this helps.