VMware Cloud Community
goodes
Contributor
Contributor

Core limitatons

If I have a free ESXi license that allows 6 cores per CPU, but have a server that has 12 cores per CPU how does ESXi handle virtual guests that exceed more than 12 cores (6 per CPU)?  In other words are there 12 other cores that are doing nothing?  I did a test where I created 6 gussts with 4 vCPUs each and was able to use affinity for all 24 cores.  Does anyone understand how the core works when ther are more cores than the license allows?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Have you applied your Free license yet. Without the license you are using ESXi in evaluation mode which is Enterprise Plus level.

There has been no absolute clarification of that question however you would be violating the EULA.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/287512?tstart=100

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
goodes
Contributor
Contributor

I have the free license installed.  It allows 1-6 cores.  I can use 4vCPUs per guest.  I Just want to know if there are more than 6 core per CPU will they be disributed among the guests or not used at all until I purchase something like Enterprise plus?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you can get Enterprise Plus or Advanced

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010579

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert

Troy, the KB really doesn't anwer the question. Just ansers licensing and nothing technical.

I'm curious as well. Since the liscense key is for 6 cores per cpu for a total of 12 cores usable, how does ESXi handle the other 12 cores in his server?

Does ESXi just not use the excess cores? Does it shut the other non licensed 12 cores down? Will ESX only allow the first 12 cores to be used and force any other VM's to share the first 12 cores?

Interesting how forcing CPU affinity seems to work for him. :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

licenseing is 1 - 6 cores per socket.  So, they remaining 2 cores per socket get masked out by the Enterprise License.  When a license is applied the remaining cores per, become available.

This is my understanding, and this is what I was told by VMware Support.  But as stated, if the OP is working around this issue somehow, then it's in violation of the EULA.

0 Kudos