VMware Cloud Community
benny_hauk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Copy a running VM on local datastore to local datastore on another host

There's plenty of tools that come close to what I'm after but haven't been able to piece together the solution I'm looking for.  Here are my requirements:
  1. Using licensed versions of ESXi 4.1 (Essentials Kit so no frills, but VADP is licensed nonetheless)
  2. Two ESXi 4.1 hosts each with plenty of extra local datastore space but with no shared storage at all
  3. Script a nightly process to copy powered-on VMs from host A on host B's local storage (must be scripted)
  4. I don't want to power off any VM in order to copy it (hot backups)
  5. I'd prefer a solution that uses VADP over VCB but if there's a VCB solution that will get me all the way from point A to point B then I mnight can live with that.
  6. I don't want any restore procedures other than registering the copied VMs sitting on host B and powering them on.
  7. Need a free solution (either vMA or Windows-based)
So I'll have half my load on one host and half on the other.  If one of the hosts ever dies, I just power up the last copy of the VMs from the dead host, on the live host.  I realize one option is to create a VM capable of providing NAS or iSCSI shared storage.  There are free solutions out there for building and configuring a VM for this purpose.  However, in order to have the simplicity of just powering on the last copy made of a VM on the other host I really do not want to go that route (I could power on VMs running on the shared storage of another VM but... no).  Not only would I have the added complexity of building that shared storage VM but I'd also have to develop a restore procedure as well.  Part of me thinks this is the easiest thing in the world.  I could write a service console script in a few minutes to do this even back in the ESX 2.5 world.  But for some reason I'm not finding any solutions for this.
For those offering up things like ghettoVCB, VCB, vmsnap.pl, vmbk.pl, etc, keep in mind that my end goal is to have the VM copies stored on the other host's local datastore with no shared storage in play here whatsoever.
Thanks!
Benny Hauk Systems Admin, VCP3/VCP4 LifeWay Chrstian Resources
0 Kudos
0 Replies