VMware Cloud Community
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Copy a Virtual from One ESXi 5 Server to Another

I have a couple of virtuals running on an ESXi 5 server. The hard drives may be failing on this server. Thus I want to copy the virtuals another ESXi server.

It seems to me that the Standalone Converter *moves* virtuals, right? I'd like to copy the virtuals if I can. That gives me an extra copy to go back to "just in case."

The standalone converter is pretty slow. Someone told me that the fact that is uses HTTPS may be the reason.

What the simplest quickest way to copy one virtual from one server to another without causing any problems for servers or workstations that are domain members? I don't want to confuse my domain controller by having a member server or computer change its GUID (I think).

Thanks much.

Mike Gallery

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Converter creates a copy of the VM, i.e. doesn't touch the original VM, so that's what you may want to use. If you are using the Converter Server and you are converting within a secure network you may disable SSL (see VMware KB: Disabling SSL encryption on VMware Converter Standalone 5.x) to increase the performance. The target will get a new UUID and MAC address. However that shouldn't cause issues with the domain membership as the guest OS is identified in the domain by it's computer account/SID which doesn't get touched.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Converter creates a copy of the VM, i.e. doesn't touch the original VM, so that's what you may want to use. If you are using the Converter Server and you are converting within a secure network you may disable SSL (see VMware KB: Disabling SSL encryption on VMware Converter Standalone 5.x) to increase the performance. The target will get a new UUID and MAC address. However that shouldn't cause issues with the domain membership as the guest OS is identified in the domain by it's computer account/SID which doesn't get touched.

André

0 Kudos
ClintColding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm assuming you are running free version of ESXi with no vCenter thus no vMotion. If you can move them afterhours and tolerate some downtime you can simply export the VM(s) to OVF template and then import it to your new host.

MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Andre and Clint. I appreciate your help.

Mike Gallery

0 Kudos