VMware Cloud Community
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Copy a Virtual from One ESXI 4 Server to an ESXI 5

Hi.

I have a 60 gig Terminal Server that is running on an ESXI 4.1 platform. I want to copy (not move) it over to my new ESXI 5 platform.

When I used the Standalone Converter to do this it seems like it is going to take over 3 to 4 hours to complete the process.

If I copy the files manually, including the 62 gig .vmdk, to my local C: drive, it takes maybe half an hour.

Can I now create a new virtual on my ESXI 5 platform, erase the files that are created, and then just move my C: drive virtual files to the ESXI 5 platform?

I don't get why the Standalone Converter takes so long when a manual copy takes such little time.

Thanks!

Mike Gallery

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With downloading and uploading the VM's files, you don't need to create a VM on the target before uploading. Just create a new folder on the datastore, upload the VM's files and the right click the VM's .vmx file to add the VM to the host's inventory.

Regarding the Converter. The low speed my be related to SSL encryption (see VMware KB: Disabling SSL encryption on VMware Converter Standalone 5.x )

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With downloading and uploading the VM's files, you don't need to create a VM on the target before uploading. Just create a new folder on the datastore, upload the VM's files and the right click the VM's .vmx file to add the VM to the host's inventory.

Regarding the Converter. The low speed my be related to SSL encryption (see VMware KB: Disabling SSL encryption on VMware Converter Standalone 5.x )

André

0 Kudos
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Andre. And the fact that the log files from the old ESXI didn't copy over is ok? Somehow when I tried to copy them they just disappeared. I got the .vmx and the two vmdk's.

Mike Gallery

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure why the log files disappeared, but no, they are not required for the VM to run. As a minimum you should have the configuration file (.vmx) file as well as the virtual disk (.vmdk) files. Remember that each virtual disk consists of two files, a descriptor file and a data (flat/delta) file, although you will only see the descriptor file's name with the size of the data file in the datastore browser.

André

0 Kudos
VitaliyS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In addition to everything that has been said above, you may want to consider using Veeam Backup free edition (VeeamZIP functionality). This free feature allows you to backup the required VM from one host and then restore it to another one. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos