VMware Cloud Community
DrorAmbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Copy VMware folder from ESXi 6 to ESXi 6.7

Hello all,

I have a server that is running ESXi 6.0 and hosts a VoIP Windows 2012 R2 server and a couple of virtual switches.

I have to upgrade its storage which means that I will have to reinstall the OS from scratch therefore I am going to take the opportunity and install ESXi 6.7 Essentials.

My question is if I can save a copy of the VoIP server folder prior to the upgrade, and then use it on ESXi 6.7?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @DrorAmbar ,

Yes, you can copy the VM folder and register the VM to ESXi 6.7 using the vmname.vmx file. That would be the task if you are using local storage.

It would be easier, if you just have a shared storage between these ESXi host.

DrorAmbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@ashilkrishnan Thank you for your guidance.

I am not that experienced with this platform, so I may ask obvious questions and repeat things just to make sure I understand.

So if I copy the VM folder to the new installation, is the link below the right procedure?

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.html.hostclient.doc/GUID-207605A0-A...

The thing is that the hosting machine is a stand-alone server on that site and since it needs a storage upgrade, I am replacing its hard drives, rebuilding the array, then I'm going to install a fresh copy of 6.7 that will replace the old  6.0. I could create a new VM but that would add 2 -3 hours to the original schedule vs just copying the folder and adding it to the new installation.

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

a vmware viertual machine is a bunch of files in a folder typically named like the guest and the vmx-file which is the config has even a version, so just copy/move the folder in which way you ever want (scp, vmotion, drag&drop in the webui froma host which has both storages mounted)

power the guest off, deregister it and after have it on the new location register the guest with the vmx file and power it on - in case you are asked if it got copied or moved say "moved" to avoid changing of MAC on virtual NICs

that's it unless you move to a *older* version and the virtual machine has a newer vmx-version not supported there

DrorAmbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for answering my questions.

Appreciate all the help!

0 Kudos