VMware Cloud Community
doggatas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Copy VM to ESX server @ remote site

Need a VM to be copied to an ESX server at a remote site. The remote site is on a 12mb WAN link.

What would be the best way to get a copy of the VM to the remote site?

The VM at the remote site is using local storage as its VMFS datastore.

Would this work.

Clone Orginal VM

Unregister Clone

Copy all VM files to USB using FastSCP

Upload VM files to local VMFS datastore

Right click VMX and click Add to inventory

Am i missing any steps?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If bandwidth is an issue, and that your VMDK is thick provisioning, you can use vmware converter to convert it to vmware workstation format in the USB drive, converter will thin it. and then reupload again via converter when you're there. it might save you some download and upload time.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The above mentioned steps are correct.

The automated way would be VMware Converter. It also zeroed out the white space for the VMDK. It has a resync function too.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
doggatas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am worried about traffic across the 12Mb WAN, maybe something I need to do outside normal operating hours

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If bandwidth is an issue, and that your VMDK is thick provisioning, you can use vmware converter to convert it to vmware workstation format in the USB drive, converter will thin it. and then reupload again via converter when you're there. it might save you some download and upload time.

0 Kudos
doggatas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks idle-jam much appreciated

0 Kudos
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You could always SCP over SSH.

1. esxcfg-firewall -e sshClient

2. scp myVirtualMachine.* root@x.x.x.x:/vmfs/volumes/myDataStore/

The Invisible Admin

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
0 Kudos