VMware Cloud Community
arcticeye
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Copy VM from another PC/Server

Hi fellas,

Thanks for let me join your group and participate.

I have the following question. If that's already answered I would be pleased if you let me know the link.

I have a brand new ESXi5 server and i have lots of machines already in production on another Linux Server (using SMB Shares). How could I connect via network or at least usb to take that to the new ESXi5 using vsphere 5 client?

Thank you very much,

Kind Regards,

Matias

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
31 Replies
arcticeye
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great! I'm gonna try it and tell you how's it going. I have my esxi 5 almost running perfectly.

You made my way so much more easy.

Greeting.

0 Kudos
arcticeye
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't know if it happens to you but sometimes the link with the nfs server is lost and i have to start the whole thing again. Do you think I should configure some opetion to avoid this?

Have this happened to you?

Matias

0 Kudos
nielse
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I haven't had this before, I would suggest looking at the logs on the NFS server. Maybe there is a certain service which causes problems and then the NFS service stops responding.

Or maybe there is a physical problem (eg NIC problem, bad cable,...). This problem can be caused by a lot..

@nielsengelen - http://foonet.be - VCP4/5
0 Kudos
arcticeye
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm checking all those stuffs, thanks a lot.

Matias

0 Kudos
arcticeye
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear Nielse,

I tried SMB protocol and do not suffer any disconnect, it's just with NFS.

So any phisical issue. I changed some config in the /etc/exports (async and restarted) and now I'm trying again.

If you come up with sth I'm ready to hear your hint,

Cheers,

Matias

0 Kudos
arcticeye
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm also trying to connect a USB disk on the server ESxi 5.

I read some tutorials that with ssh we mount but it doesn't recognise even the "mount" command. So I'm kind of lost in mounting drives as i do in debian or ubuntu.

I would appresciate any help on that, meanwhile i will be looking for more to do.

Thanks a lot

Matias

0 Kudos
nielse
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

These are settings we use with our exports:

/path/to/export    iprange/24(rw,fsid=0,no_subtree_check,async)

Not sure which one you are using at the moment?

0 Kudos
arcticeye
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tried lots but now:

/home/control/nfs 10.11.12.39(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

Matias

0 Kudos
arcticeye
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You know? I tried to, first, download the NFS file to the local pc (where i run the vsphere) using the Datastoe Browser and it didn't disconnect.

Now I'm uploading the file to the datastore where the vmware server is.

By now everything works perfectly. I will inform if something different happens.

Cheers,

Matias

0 Kudos
nielse
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Glad to hear. About the USB problem, you will have to pass the USB device to the VM before you can mount it. I haven't tried this so I can't tell you exactly how to do this.

0 Kudos
arcticeye
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Look, while I left the Datastore Browser opened the tranfer did great. When it finished before closing the datastore browser window I saw that the NFS mounted was grey and italics as when it loses connection but at the same time while i kept the datastore browser opened the transfer didn't cut. It sounds like a Vsphere bug?.

Another thing, I got already the vmdk file in the datastore (hurrah!), but everytime i move it from place to place into the server it adds a line in name for example XXXXX-S0001 if i remove it creates a new one with the old one named XXXXX-S0001-S0001 and so then...

Why? Which one is the original one?

Thanks! Again

Matias

0 Kudos
arcticeye
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good morning,

How could you do automatic backups of the vm's using ESXi 5?

Thanks a lot

Regards,

Matias

0 Kudos