VMware Cloud Community
timoelli
Contributor
Contributor

Copy VM From ESXI 5.5 to ESXI 7

Hello,

I know enough about VMware to be dangerous and I need to move working production Linux VMs from an ESXI 5.5 host to a new ESXI 7 host. A little downtime is not an issue. It doesn't seem like that would be too complex of an operation but I thought I'd check here first. Any assistance in finding the right resources would be greatly appreciated. There must be some documented steps somewhere to do this. 

Thanks, Tim

7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are either of the hosts being managed by vCenter Server? Is there any datastore shared between them?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
maksym007
Expert
Expert

What about the infrastructure you have? Versions of vCenter and ESXi? Do you have any cloud solutions? 

lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

While there are many options, especially when managed via vCenter Server

One of the easiest and most flexible option is to simply using VMware Converter, it is a free solution and does NOT care about licensing nor whether you've got shared storage and does host-to-host data transfer, so no need for intermediate data transfer to bastion client, which is helpful for large VMs. 

timoelli
Contributor
Contributor

Hello and thanks for the reply, ESXI 7 is managed by vCenter Server. No shared datastore.

0 Kudos
timoelli
Contributor
Contributor

Hello and thank you for the reply, vCenter 7.0.3 and no cloud services.

0 Kudos
timoelli
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply. I have read most about this one. I feel like I will attempt this. It looks like I'd have to have the VM powered off and can copy it from my ESXi 5.5 host to my ESXi 7 host. If I attempt this and I am unsuccessful and for some reason cannot get my migrated VM running will I be able to restart the VM on the ESXI 5.5 host?

0 Kudos
timoelli
Contributor
Contributor

@lamw Oops, looks like just clicking reply is general and not attached to your reply...

Thank you for the reply. I have read most about this one. I feel like I will attempt this. It looks like I'd have to have the VM powered off and can copy it from my ESXi 5.5 host to my ESXi 7 host. If I attempt this and I am unsuccessful and for some reason cannot get my migrated VM running will I be able to restart the VM on the ESXI 5.5 host?

0 Kudos