VMware Cloud Community
jetberrocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Copy Paste from Guest to Host not working

I have debian guest with open vm tools installed.  On the vSphere Status for the guest shows "Installed and running:.

I went to the machine settings and added:

isolation.tools.copy.disableFALSE
isolation.tools.paste.disableFALSE

But still copy/paste does not work.

I am using ESXi 6.0 u2, accessed using the Web Page connection.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try to check it by installing VMware Tools instead of Open VM Tools.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
jetberrocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I notice that copy/paste functionality works on the vSphere Client.  The Web Page Client is the one that does not work copy/paste.

0 Kudos
jetberrocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please suggest another VMTN forum to address this question.

0 Kudos
HanSooloo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same problem.

Followed instructions to edit /etc/vmware/config.  However, I can never get Copy/Paste working from VM to remote console, e.g., a vSphere client or VMware Fusion client connected as the console.

0 Kudos
jetberrocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not know how to get to the same settings through the vSphere Client but you can go through the Web Client and add the parameters I posted in the opening question.

anydesk00001.png

Select "Edit Settings"

anydesk00002.png

Select "VM Options" then scroll down to open "Advanced"

anydesk00003.png

Click "Edit Configuration"

anydesk00004.png

Click "Add parameter" to add the copy paste options.

This will make copy/paste posible.  At least on the vSphere Client I can copy/paste.

On the Web Client still does not work.

0 Kudos
HanSooloo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the detailed instructions.

After having done all of those, I still cannot get Copy/Paste to work.

With this ESXi server, I was able to do Copy/Paste before (maybe until 6.0 U2 update?).  But all of a sudden, neither the ESXi host level (/etc/vmware/config) nor the per VM settings do anything.  I don't even see any problem log entries in the VM's log file.

0 Kudos
jetberrocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Probably a stupid question, but just to make sure.  Did you install the vm tools on the guests? and they show as installed and running on the status?

You probably already search on this, but, is your guest a linux based platform, then you should install the linux distribution vm tools instead of the VMware provided CD tools.

Other than that I have no idea what else to check.

0 Kudos
HanSooloo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Tools installed and running at latest version on a Win7 x64 VM.  vCenter and ESXi console both recognize it as being installed and running (version 10246).

0 Kudos
jetberrocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe you will have to wait/schedule a window to restart the guest after the parameters are added, or maybe restart the vm tools service inside the guest..

0 Kudos
HanSooloo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Restarted the ESXi host and the VM's in various stages.  Restarted the VMware Tools service; still no dice.

0 Kudos
jetberrocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am sorry but I am out of bullets in this regard. 

The version of my system is ESXi 6.0.0, 362079.  Do not recall if this is U1 or U2.

0 Kudos
mcox156
Contributor
Contributor

Was anyone able to get this working? I am on ESXi 5.5 and can't get it to work in vSphere or the web client.

0 Kudos
usernameforcomm
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone from VMWare read these forums at all?  I set those 2 settings to FALSE on ESXi 6.5, and copy/paste do not work in the web client.  And there is no vSphere Client for 6.5!

0 Kudos
Roachmojo
Contributor
Contributor

We are also on 6.5 and it does not work. And yes, no more c# client. Thanks, VMware!  :smileyplain:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There are two steps you have to do in order to get copy&paste working.

First for the VM as mentioned earlier.

Second also per host as is explained in the following link:

Enabling clipboard copy and paste on vSphere VMs

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos