VMware Cloud Community
DewREW
Contributor
Contributor

Copied VM from datastore to another host without success

HI!

I have a strange issue. I have received from partner entire cataloge of VM , just copied from datastore where VM is placed. They have esxi 5.0 . I have 6.7 .

I tried to import this VM manually , just to register VM clicking on .vmx file. But Machine doesnt power on. I have got error :

"The file specified is not a virtual disk (15)"

The same I have got when i am going to try with VMware Workstation and I am trying to attach disk to newly created VM - disk cannot be added.

I tried to create new .vmx, I attachted only one main disk without others with snapshots .

I tried https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1002511 too .

I tried to from entire catalog of files create OFV file using OFVtools https://help.skytap.com/Using_OVF_Converter_Tool.html but i have received "Error: Failed to open disk: " 

When I run  vmkfstools --fix check "file.vmdk"

DiskLib_Check() failed for source disk 'file.vmdk': The file specified is not a virtual disk (15).

It's strange. In cataloge of VM I have some other cataloge which I don't recognize, there are: "GNUSparseFile.0" and "PaxHeader" and inside of these cataloges are files with "-flat.vmdk" . What these folders mean?

Any ideas how to import this machine?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
virtualhelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

1- Turn off the VM
2- Export it as OVA.
3- Deploy that OVA on your host 6.7

Another option would be to use vmware converter to clone that vm from host esxi to another esxi.

I remain attentive to your observations.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> In cataloge of VM I have some other cataloge which I don't recognize, there are: "GNUSparseFile.0" and "PaxHeader" and inside of these cataloges are files with "-flat.vmdk" . What these folders mean?
That's something, that only the one who provided the files can tell you.

Anyway, which files did you receive? Remember that vSphere virtual disks consist of two files, a small header/descriptor file (e.g. <vmname>.vmdk), and the data file (e.g. "<vmname>-flat.vmdk"). Both of them are required, and you'd pick the descriptor file when you add the virtual disk to a VM.

If you've received the files together with an .ovf file, the .vmdk file may be stored in the stream-optimized format, which is used with exporting/importing a VM, i.e. cannot be used directly.

André

0 Kudos