VMware Cloud Community
sqlcoder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converting vmware server virtual machines to ESX4I and windows product activation.

Hi,

I tried using vmware convert and vmkfstools to import vmware server VMs to ESX4i, any of them will cause Windows VMs to trigger windows product activation with no days of grace so I can't use the VMs on ESXi. How can workaround this problem. I guess I've searched a lot about this topic but no clear response found so far.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

MS may have made changes in their software to detect cloned software and changes to the underlying host.

http://www.vmware.com/solutions/whitepapers/msoft_licensing_wp.html

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Luckybob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't deal with WPA much due to using MVL, but when you get the nag screen doesn't it give you an option to reactivate the OS. I assume you can't activate it online because of the nic setup, but you should be able to call and get an activation by phone.

0 Kudos
sqlcoder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess you mean Multi Volume Licencing, so far I remember company has product key for the operating systems mainly windows 2003 server, and there a few phisical OEM preinstalled servers.

Not sure if we can change the current licencing model . I used to move/copy virtual machines in vmware server and rarely WPA triggers at least a huge change in hardware config, but usually it works ok on vm server.

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

hmm.

You could try installing the vmware tools for esxi and then try the conversion.

and or try converting to version 4.

You could try copying over the vmdk to the esxi system then running vmkfstools to just convert the disk to the new format

vmkfstools -i src.vmdk -d thin destination.vmdk

Then don't upgrade the hardware.

This reactivation has screwed me in the past when I have upgraded hardware from 4 to 7. I have a few machines that are still on hardware version 4 that I don't want to risk having to reactivate.

0 Kudos
sqlcoder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LucasAlbers, thanks for reply:

Tried both ways you said. Still the WAP triggers and unable to activate it via internet. I'm evaluating vsphere 4 but this seems to be a real issue for me, I wonder if each time I move/change/copy the vms will have the same problem.

After the searching it seems my only choice is go with Volume License Key, I guess that means another investment with M$. I wonder if I'm the only one with this kind of problems cuz I feel totally lost in this topic.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

http://www.petri.co.il/bypass-windows-server-2008-activation.htm

I don't remember if this works for 2003 but have a look through the petri site.

0 Kudos
sqlcoder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DSTAVERT, thanks for reply:

Tried the way you suggested but still cannot activate it. I was able to modify the network and confirmed internet was ok (ping google.com) but back on activation screens it says no internet connection. Attached the error.

I wonder if this is cuz the VM was already activated on VMServer ?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Use the telephone method. It is an automated call and will get you going.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It doesn't take too much to trigger the activation. The "I copied it" tells ESXi to regenerate a new MAC and UUID etc. To windows this means new computer.

0 Kudos
sqlcoder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Understand but since this did not happen on VMServer it looks a bit weird for me. I guess the same happens on templates when provissioning new servers based on VM templates.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

MS may have made changes in their software to detect cloned software and changes to the underlying host.

http://www.vmware.com/solutions/whitepapers/msoft_licensing_wp.html

0 Kudos
sqlcoder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well then it seems would be difficult to upgrade to vSphere Smiley Sad

All the current VMServer VMS and physicall machines will have the same issues... I guess I should keep tied to VMServer and buy athird party backup solution.

Thanks all for the help.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If they all have a license you don't have a problem with reactivating. Just use the telephone option. It only takes a few minutes. I did it a few times a while back and it was an automated process.

0 Kudos