VMware Cloud Community
grp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converting from ESXi 3.5 to ESXi 5 - UTF-8 error

Hi all,

I am trying to move some VMs from an ESXi 3.5 server to our new ESXi 5.1. However vCenter Converter (latest version) fails, with the usual "File already has an encoding "UTF-8" error. Tried to edit the old .vmx file, removed encoding entry. Still no luck. VMware documentation mentions that the issue should be fixed in the latest Converter, and that it occurs when trying to power on the converted VM. This is not the case for me, as convertion does not complete at all. The error appears inside Converter, when starting the conversion.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

why do you move the VM with Converter ? - cant you just move the directory ?

anyway - post the vmx-file so that we can reproduce the problem

also post the small vmdk files - they also can have bad/strange encoding entries

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

since you are using converter 5.1, maybe try an older version like 4.3

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
krismcewan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you could try using the OVF tool in 3.5 to create an OVF file and import that into the ESXi5.

A VMware Consultant in Scotland for Taupo Consulting http://www.taupoconsulting.co.uk If you think I'm right or helpful award me some points please
0 Kudos
grp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have noticed that Converter adds two encoding lines in the newly created .vmx.

.encoding=UTF-8

.encoding=windows-1253

whereas, as I said, I have manually edited the original .vmx and removed all encoding occurences. So, it is my understanding that this may only considered a bug.

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you try and remove only one of the encoding lines, the one that reads .encoding=windows-1253, so that all you are left with is .encoding=UTF-8

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
grp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This cannot solve the issue. Since conversion never took place, even removing the line from the new vmx has no effect, since on next attempt Converter creates a new VM!!!!! Very poor consideration, in my opinion.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

why do you move the VM with Converter ? - cant you just move the directory ?

anyway - post the vmx-file so that we can reproduce the problem

also post the small vmdk files - they also can have bad/strange encoding entries

0 Kudos
grp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did as you suggested. Copied the entire VM. Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos