VMware Cloud Community
Tomson74
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converting a physical Domain Controller to a virtual DC

Greetings everyone!

I was wondering if you guys can help me. We are currently running a physical Proliant DL 360 Gen 8 server as our physical Domain Controller. The host is running HP VMware 5.5 Update 1, and the DC is running Windows Server 2012

I am looking at converting this to a virtual domain controller as a backup. I would add it to a host that is currently running three VM's. I have a couple of questions.

1) Is there a way where if the physical Domain Controller goes down, that the virtual server comes online automatically?

2) Are there any caveats in making a physical DC into a virtual DC?

3) Is there a step by step guide on the process of converting a physical DC to a virtual DC?

4) Would I have to shut down any services on the physical server when converting?

5) Would I be able to take the virtual domain controller and make it as a secondary DC?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No, you misunderstood. For additional availability you should put up a 2nd DC as a VM now and leave that running. Don't bother about putting up something automagic, just have the 2nd DC readily up and running.

The backups should always be done regularly as they might become handy if both DCs fail for whatever reason.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

please clarify what exactly is running on your HP server?

(1) a physical Proliant DL 360 Gen 8 server as our physical Domain Controller

and

(2) The host is running HP VMware 5.5 Update 1, and the DC is running Windows Server 2012

(1) means that Windows DC is installed on the HP

(2) means that VMWare is installed on the HP and a Windows VM DC as a guest OS

It can't be both.

If you are already running VMWare (2) you don't need to convert anything. It's always a good idea to have a 2nd DC on separate hardware (either a physical or virtual DC).

You should make regular backups, this automation thing you mnentioned could be done putting up a cluster, but your environment sound too small for this.

cykVM

0 Kudos
Tomson74
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi cykVMcykVM

So let me clarify,

Our physical server which is currently our Domain Controller is a Proliant DL 360 Gen 8 is running Windows 2012 Server. This server is not virtualized. It's a stand alone server.

I would like to convert this to virtual server and add it to an ESXi host (we currently have two ESXi hosts)

The ESXi host that I would like to put the converted domain controller on, (once converted to a virtual machine) is a Proliant DL 360 Gen 8 running HP VMware 5.5 update 1.

I currently have three VM running on this ESXi host.

My environment has roughly 100-200 users. I would like a secondary backup domain controller in case the physical one goes down.

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ok, now the situation is a lot clearer to me Smiley Wink

I would not convert the existing physical DC and just put up a 2nd DC as a VM (fresh install, add to dmain, install AD role ...). The converted physical DC would need very regular additional conversions and the converted VM might not fully run without issues regarding AD out of the box (e.g. different [virtual] NIC inside VM etc.).

Best approach is to have regular backups of system state and AD from both DCs. Failover to the converted VM if the physical DC is down for whatever reason will not help you because the AD is not in the same state as the failed DC. This will cause a lot of issues and additional work for you and no gain in availability.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Never ever convert a powered on DC!!! This will most likely end up in a corrupt AD.

Although it may work (however, it's not supported by MS) to cold clone a DC, I'd recommend you simply setup a secondary DC as a virtual machine, i.e. install Windows Server and promote it.

André

0 Kudos
Tomson74
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We only have the one physically domain controller.

So, what you are advising is to do regular backups and system state on the domain controller

In the event of the physical domain controller going down, spin up a new VM and import the backups and system state to that?

Again thanks for your help on this.

cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No, you misunderstood. For additional availability you should put up a 2nd DC as a VM now and leave that running. Don't bother about putting up something automagic, just have the 2nd DC readily up and running.

The backups should always be done regularly as they might become handy if both DCs fail for whatever reason.

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Create a brand new VM, with guest OS same as what you have in that physical domain controller, and then promote it as Additional Domain Controller.

Why would you want to wait until your only DC fails? relying only on just backup & restore has always longer downtimes, that's why we replicate.

That's what Andre is trying to tell you.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That's what Andre is trying to tell you.

... and not only Andre.:smileylaugh:Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Tomson74
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah ok makes sense.

Sweet! Thanks for all the help everyone. I greatly appreciate it.

Why I love VMware forums.

0 Kudos