VMware Cloud Community
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converting AMD to Intel - Possible??

I am trying to convert some vm's from an AMD based LS20 blade to an Intel XEON E5450 based blade and of course, am having nothing but problems.

The problems mainly seem to be in that the OS is never found once the conversion is completed. I have gone into the settings and made sure that the SCSI settings are correct but still cannot get a vm to boot. Can anyone shed some light on what I might need to try and of course, I am happy to provide additional info as needed.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What OS are you using? How are you doing the "conversion"? With windows VMs you should just be able to shut down the VM and Migrate it to the new Intel Host and start it up and it will boot.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Most are Linux Centos 6.x.
No win vms.

Using the VMware vCenter Converter tool, version 5.1 I believe.

I have tried both shut down and running and always end up with problems.

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A new error today...

-- Convert: vmodl.fault.SystemError
--> (vmodl.fault.SystemError) {
-->    dynamicType = ,
-->    faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,
-->    reason = "Crypto Exception: error:02001005:system library:fopen:Input/output error:unable to load C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\ssl\rui.crt",
-->    msg = "",

0 Kudos
khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This  issue may occur if you have installed vCenter Server and vCenter Converter on the same server using different user accounts.

Check this KB

VMware KB: Importing a virtual machine using vCenter Converter fails with the error: Crypto Exceptio...

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the conversion tool installed on a workstation which is not part of that network. I have tried using the 'powered on' open as well as converting from a backed up vm. Neither way works.

At least it sounds like you're saying this can be done, just have to figure out the problems and that the change in CPU is not an issue.

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Next, I backed up the vm using a snapshot (ghetto backup) and tried converting it with the converter tool only to get;

'Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine'.

This happens no matter which option I try to import and whether the backup was running or not makes no difference.

Also tried older vms along with win vms and always the same error when I pick a *.vmx.

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This morning, I used the converter to copy a non-running vm from one blade to another, identical blades and it seemed to complete. When I tried to fire up the vm,

'This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

What's going on here? NOTHING works? These two blades are running the same AMD 64bit CPU's.

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

Is the Virtualization technology option enabled in the BIOS?

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's an IBM HS21 blade and I read that there is a little confusion about this so I guess I'm not sure. I'll try to check that out next.

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could you expand on this, if you are familiar with the BladeCenter blades. I can't seem to find any info on what I need to enable or disable.

If you mean CPU virtualization, then yes, that is enabled.

0 Kudos