VMware Cloud Community
HackMaster
Contributor
Contributor

Converting AMD Windows XP to Intel ESXi Server

As I have usually done, I used VMWare's Converter to migrate the machine from its AMD physical form to a VM on my Intel powered host. However, once I power on the VM, the VM consumes one entire processor (3000mhz) and does nothing with its secondary proc. The console shows nothing but a frozen "_" in the upper left corner.

Is there some trick to go from AMD to Virtual Intel? Is there something I am missing?

I appreciate any assistance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums - There is nothing special you need to do so it should work - the first thing I would do is change the VM setting from dual virtual CPU to a single virtual CPU -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
HackMaster
Contributor
Contributor

I did as you said without scuess. What is odd is that I am not even seeing VMWare's BIOS at all. Just a black screen with the solid cursor.

Thank you for your help though!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Check to see what you have for disk controller type from "Edit Settings". You will need to update the VM to hardware version 7 to use an IDE controller.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
alex555550
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

if you change the Controller to IDE, just at an Startup delay in the VM settings, and boot with an XP CD and use the repair option.

0 Kudos
HackMaster
Contributor
Contributor

The VM was converted at that time to the lastest config (V7, IDE).

I have not yet had the opportunity to attempt the repair function but will when I get the opportunity..

0 Kudos