VMware Cloud Community
FPhillips2013
Contributor
Contributor

Converter causes receiving ESXi Host to drop connections, initiate a core dump and reset network adapters.

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm stumped here and could use some guidance and reference points from everyone's expertise. I will try to describe the esxi environment and the issue experienced and we can duplicate it.

COLO Environment:

Cisco UCS Chassis with four blades (latest greatest system, just installed by another vendor)

ESXi 5.5.0 Build 1746974

Each Blade has four 10GB uplinks in to a Cisco Interconnect and out to a 10GB CORE switch

vNIC0 and 1 are in a vDS with all the defined usable port groups in an "Active/Active" state

vNIC2 and 3 are in a vSwitch for iSCSI boot for ESXi. in an Active/Active State

NETAPP storage connected to Fabric Interconnect via redundant 10GB uplinks.

vCenter is a VM located on ESXi1

Network Environment:

1GB MetroE from COLO to HQ office where all the existing servers to be migrated are located

Network traverses two separate subnets with ACLs from a 172. to a 192.

Ping responses between both sites are 1 to 2 ms.

The issue:

The latest VMware Converter Standalone 5.5.2 is installed on the vCenter Server.

1. Connect Converter to 2008 R2 Hyper-V Host and select the downed server to convert

2. After configuration modifications, initiate the conversion

3. Two minutes in, the converter fails on network

4. While troubleshooting, looking at the vCenter we initiated another conversion failure we noticed the ESXi host that was receiving the conversion drops the network adapters and reset them causing the vm's on that ESXi host to lose connectivity. The ESXi does a core dump and resets the adapters then everything reconnects. This happens in seconds but the issue is quite alarming. I've never seen this before and unless I'm google searching the wrong thing can't find anything about it.

Reduplicated the Issue:

We were able to reduplicate the issue outside of the UCS chassis by doing the following:

1. Took Dell PowerEdge R900 and installed the same version of ESXi on to the server

2. Plugged the network adapters (this time 1GB network adapters and same IP Subnet) in to the same switch of the Hyper-V server from above

3. Installed vmware converter on a different 2008 R2 windows system locally on the same switch as the ESXi host and Hyper-V host.

4. Initiated the same conversion

5. The same issue above happens the server blips, core dumps and resets the network adapters.

Any thoughts or ideas are graciously welcome. We are opening a ticket with Cisco and VMware but also wanted to throw it out in to the community.

Thanks Everyone!

Fred

0 Kudos
0 Replies