VMware Cloud Community
ahmedmcts
Contributor
Contributor

Converted Physical Machine not running

Hi,

I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, this is my first post.

I have converted a large production server in a big oil company to a VMware workstation 8 virtual machine, the server is running Server 2008 R2.

Whenever I try to run the VM, it starts then hangs on the " Press ALT+CTRL+DEL" , it does not accept any input from the keyboard,

or even "send ctrl+alt+del".

I suspected that that my laptop has not enough resources to run the VM, so I converted it to a Virtual Infrastructure machine "ESXI 5" and loaded it

on the ESXI Server "R710 with plenty of RAM" ,I got The same problem, Machine started but I can't get anything beyond the  "Press Ctrl+ALT+DEL".

Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

Are you able to boot into safe mode and remove any software or devices that were specific to the the physical environment? If you can boot into safe mode, try and disable any hardware agent services and reboot normally to see if this helps.

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
ahmedmcts
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks jrmunday,

I already tried Safe Mode,

I believe it's a problem of Hardware,

Tried safe mode but id didn't work.

maybe I should edit the vmx file.

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

Can you reboot into the recovery console and check for issues? Also, is there anything the boot.ini that would be causing issues in the virtual world? How many partitions have been converted - are there any hardware vendor service partitions causing any issues?

Edit -- also check the BIOS on the physical server and disable any hardware agents prior to P2V process.

Message was edited by: jrmunday

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
ahmedmcts
Contributor
Contributor

I\m not sure how to boot to recovery console, do you mean Windows server recovery console ?

I'm can't check the .ini file !! how to do that ? I think I should be logged in to the machine to check it. do you have another way ?

Regards Smiley Happy

Ahmed

0 Kudos