VMware Cloud Community
projectja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Convert from Workstation to ESXi

Hello guys,

We are trying to convert a virtual machine created with Workstation 8.0.

The idea is to import the vm to ESxi host. We are not sure about if its possible. We are trying to convert by using Vmware Vcenter converter standalone installed in the laptop. We dont see any specific option to convert to ESX. We only view to other version of workstation, etc and Vmware server 2.x.

¿which is the option to convert so it is possible to use with our ESX infraestructure?

Please, gimme a hand. Thanks in adavance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Basically all you need to do is to select "Virtual Infrastructure" as the target type. This will allow you to connect to an ESXi host or vCenter Server. No need to select any configuration options since the a VMware Workstation 8 VM will run on ESXi 5.0. The Converter will modify the .vmdk format and the .vmx as needed.

Btw. you may want to take a look at Increasing the cloning performance.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Basically all you need to do is to select "Virtual Infrastructure" as the target type. This will allow you to connect to an ESXi host or vCenter Server. No need to select any configuration options since the a VMware Workstation 8 VM will run on ESXi 5.0. The Converter will modify the .vmdk format and the .vmx as needed.

Btw. you may want to take a look at Increasing the cloning performance.

André

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Create an OVF template from vmware workstation 8 and deploy that ovf in the esxi5

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@ Ranjina

OVF export and import is the most unreliable procedure for the given task

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

One of the new features of VMware Workstation 8 is drag n drop VM to vCenter Server, this means you do not have to convert VMs rather just copy into your vSphere Environment.

Nikhil

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi continuum

can u tell me why it is the unreliable proceedure?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In my experience OVF/OVA packaging only is reliable when source and target platform are the same.

In many many cases when I try to import an existing OVA/OVF I end with manually unzipping the PVF-tar archive and then you have to write a vmx-file manually.

IMHO just copying vmx  + vmdk and then importing the vmdk via vmkfstools is the most reliable procedure

0 Kudos
projectja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi guys,
Thanks very much for your replies, I was in a rush to export one vm to Esx, this case was my first time with esx-ws interaction.
With regards to the replis, a.p. was a fast and right reply, I need it to continue and that solutions let me continue with my tasks.
On the other hand, before trying a.p. solution which is possible, at least with Workstation ver .8, I  tried to export to .OVF, however when tried to deploy it from Esx, I got an error related to hardware issues, Threfore, In my case, it was not possible ussing OVF, to tell truth, I have not gone deeper with OVF way to try to solve the problem.
NikHil provided the same solutions with the technical links, It helped me so much as well.
Thank you very much for your help. Until next time!
0 Kudos