VMware Cloud Community
PMCmike
Contributor
Contributor

Convert Project Server 2007 to vmware ESXi 4.0

Has anyone tried to convert a Project Server 2007 running on Windows Server 2003 St. Ed. to a vmware ESXi 4.0 host. I have made serveral attempts using VMware Converter. The conversion seems to work but when I start the newly converted vm I get several Project Server errors in the Event Viewer and Project Server Clients cannot log on to the server. I was wondering if anyone out there had any success with this conversion or had any advice.

The errors with project seem to be permission related.

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

did you resize the partitions during Converter use ?

I guess that should not happen when you use blocklevel mode

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
PMCmike
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did resize the partitions when running the converter. I actually made the partition smaller. i went from 100 GB down to 50 GB. I didn't need the size so I decreased it. Do you think that could be my problem?

0 Kudos
Marcj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you go into the netowrking properties on your new VM and configure the virtual NIC with the same properties as the physical server (IP, Gateway, DNS, etc)? When you do you will receive a warning that another device has the same properties. Just select "No" that you do not want to provide a different address.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Of course I am not sure - but I would expect that a blocklevel clone does not mess up file permissions

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
PMCmike
Contributor
Contributor

I did change all the IP, DNS, Gateway, ..etc to match the origianl server.

0 Kudos
Marcj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Was it a hot or cold clone? I have found that with hot cloning you do not get an application consistent image, so the clone can come out with corrupt files. Therefore, if i can schedule downtime i use the cold clone disk.

Another thing to verify is that the drive letters were assigned correctly.

Resizing the drives should not cause an issue.

PMCmike
Contributor
Contributor

I did perform a hot clone. Are you able to perform a cold clone with the free vmware converter? I have never attempted a cold clone.

0 Kudos
Marcj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Don't think you get the cold clone disk for free. Comes with vSphere licensing.

Alternately, you should stop any services associated with Project Server before beginning the clone.

0 Kudos
PMCmike
Contributor
Contributor

I did stop the services associated with Project Server and Share Point pior to converting. However I did not set them to disable. They probably did start back up before the IP and DNS stuff was set back to the original. Maybe this could possibly be causing some of the issue? I guess I could set these to disable and start them back up once all the IP and DNS is set after conversion. I hope I can get this to work I don't want to have to completely reinstall any of this.

0 Kudos
Marcj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is SQL on this server too? That should be stopped as well.

Sorry to state the obvious, but the physical server is being shutdown before booting the virtual, and no customization (sysprep or renaming) is being performed? Also, all IP's assigned to the NIC on the physical server are being assigned to the virtual, with a reboot being performed after network configuration.

Just trying to eliminate the easy stuff first.

0 Kudos
PMCmike
Contributor
Contributor

SQL Server is not located on this computer. Yes the Phyical Server is shut down before bringing up the newly converted VM. No customizations are being made and the server name remains the same. All IP's are being use from the phyical server on the vm. Reboot is performed after.

0 Kudos