VMware Cloud Community
bengels76
Contributor
Contributor

Control-Alt-Delete will immediately shutdown vSphere ESX host!

This sounds like a bug.

When we press CTRALTDEL on a running Vmware ESX Sphere host, the console will ride its way down to the bare metal.

We've tested this per accident and were not very satisfied of this new feature of this great new OS.

Can you please give me some feedback. Else just notify.

Greets.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Smiley Happy

Message was edited by: Troy Clavell - My response was not relevant as I was not logged into the console.

0 Kudos
nirvy
Commander
Commander

The host will only reboot if you are logged into the console when you issue CTRLALTDEL. If you are staring at a login dialog, it will do nothing

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert

quite standard linux behaviour....

you should simply know that and i think it`s ok.

why should one accidentally press that key combination when not in a gui environment?

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would suspect they were logged into the console and the kvm was showing one screen but the mouse and keyboard were still connected to the console.

0 Kudos
AdminAndy
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed the same thing during my install of ESX 4. I can go to the console screen (prompted for login... not logged in yet), press CTRL-ALT-DEL and the ESX host will reboot. You would think that issuing a reboot would at least need a login first and/or elevated priviledges of some kind. If somebody has a good explanation/reason for this behavior being acceptable please pass that info on to me.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

The thinking is this: If you have console access, you can just hit the power button anyways, so whats teh point of requiring a login to do it 'safely'.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

the big concern is really the remove kvm access where you are looking at one screen but your keyboard and mouse are still connected to your esx server. you send control alt delete and voila, your esx server goes down awhile you are wondering why the login box on your windows server isn't working.

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

very true, this shoud not be the case it has to ask for login and then it's fine any thought?

0 Kudos
AdminAndy
Contributor
Contributor

I will beg to differ on this one... how come on any other core infrastructure resource like a Cisco switch or even a Windows Server you must login before issuing a reboot/shutdown sequence. I think it's a good security practice that forces accountability. You would think that the server would log the user that initiated the shutdown for security purposes, but in this case there's no user to log. I'd still classify it as a flaw.

0 Kudos