VMware Cloud Community
timtrace
Contributor
Contributor

Console over low-bandwidth connection

Greetings,

Is there some way to restrict the console to a lower resolution and color depth over low-bandwidth connections?

Thanks --

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The console connection is a poor way to access the VM. Use more appropriate protocols like RDP or VNC for Windows or VNC ssh for Linux, etc. If you need to work with the vSphere client over low bandwidth connections, set up an RDP connection to a remote workstation and install the client there.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
timtrace
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I agree.

In this situation, however, it is required to provide a direct connection to the vSphere Client console.

The entire environment is virtual. A guest is configured as an RDP gateway, but if there is a problem with the gateway the only way to get a console on the other guests will be through the vSphere Client.

Is there some way to improve the performance of the vSphere Client console?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Is there some way to improve the performance of the vSphere Client console?

Not that I am aware of. You would still be better off with something at the other end. A small laptop/netbook work well. Also consider an IP KVM and remote power control. I do everything remote and being able to powercycle or "Press F1 to continue" at 3 in the morning is well worth it.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos