VMware Cloud Community
hokapoka
Contributor
Contributor

Console only Access for Linux or Windows Clients to interact with VM machines

Hey there

I think I already know the answer to this question but I'd really like to be sure because it would be a gret time saver.

I know there's no equlivant to the vShpere Client for linux, but is there any Console access?

ATM I'm using RDP to access my Windows Box and then using vShere to Open a Console on a machine. This is only during installation but it's still a bit of a pain.

I know the old VMWare apps, Server / GSX / Workstation, and maybe ESX but can't remmeber, all had tools that would allow you to access just the console of a VM, I don't need to access any of the ESXi server components or even edit the machine. Would just love to be able to access the Machines from my linux workstation while I'm running the installers.

Has anyone tried to access the Machines directally via the old Linux Consoles that came with Workstation to interact with the machine?

For that matter, even a windows client would be good too. I have a collegue that I want to give access to the machine via, to let him run the installer directaly, save me having to do it. I did setup another user to access the ESXi server and restricted his access to one machine. But it enters at the top of the serevr and still lists all of the machines. I would prefer it if I could set him up to only access a Console, not the full blown vShpere client.

I have got the older VM aps and propper licences for windows and linix machines, it woudl be great if the Consoles did work, or even if there was a work arround.

Is there any way to achive this?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SteveHaavik
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using the browser plugin from VMware Server 2.0 right now.

A co-worker pointed out this thread a while back. http://communities.vmware.com/message/993684

For the Linux version you can just run it and it'll prompt you for the server and login info. And you get a list of virtual machines on that server.

The Windows version isn't quite that friendly.

0 Kudos