VMware Cloud Community
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Console Web Access in free ESXi-4

Morning all

I wondered if anyone had figured out how to enable the above, as it would be handy for something I'm working on at the moment.

Unfortunately my budget doesn't extent to $800 for a 1-CPU standard license Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You may not have web access but you can set up the beta Mobile Web VM. Not only can you get web access but you can get access on browser enabled phone. You can do most things from that client start - stop - snapshot (no creation)

You can get access to individual VMs via VNC (enough to get to the BIOS settings) or you can use the web plugin from VMware server. vmrc???.exe

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
dnetz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Web access is not currently available for ESX4i, sorry. You're stuck with the vSphere client.

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You may not have web access but you can set up the beta Mobile Web VM. Not only can you get web access but you can get access on browser enabled phone. You can do most things from that client start - stop - snapshot (no creation)

You can get access to individual VMs via VNC (enough to get to the BIOS settings) or you can use the web plugin from VMware server. vmrc???.exe

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Great, thanks for the replies.

Got a local connection going with vmware-vmrc.exe - now I need to work out how to deliver this with a web page through IIS!?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It isn't difficult to do with the VNC connection. Somewhat faster than the console. You can also limit each VM to a particular login.

J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Dst - thanks very much, I've gotten this working - browser access to an image of my old school computer running nicely, DOS & Windows 3 of course Smiley Happy

Only problem is that the mouse only moves down and diagonal for some reason - works OK in the vmware console window. Any ideas? Using TightVNC btw.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

3.0.or 3.1? I hate to say that I started with Windows 1 on an amber screen. I haven't thought about digging out old old OS's. I have a box of diskettes at home that I should paw through. Great deal.

I mostly use UltraVNC but I have used most of the VNC versions with success. Can't say that I have had that problem. I'll set something up and see what I can see.

0 Kudos
CameroonVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ,

I'd like to deploy a "web management interface" to be able to manage the console of my VMs which are hosted on a farm of ESX4i servers via a web browser.

Basically, instead of using vSphere (which needs to be installed) , I'd like users to be able to

access their VMs hosted on different servers thru a central web management interface (similar to vCenter) but accessible via a browser.

Could somone please, suggest a solution.

Thanks & Happy new year !

Danny

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should really create a new post for your question. This one is marked answered and so may be ignored.

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If these are all Windows VMs then RDP Web Access might be worth a look.

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos