VMware Cloud Community
tom5
Contributor
Contributor

Console: Mousepointer disappears after installing WDDM graphics driver

Greetings.

My scenario are 3 newly installed ESX 4.1 hosts in a cluster, running from a Virtual Center as a VM on the same cluster.

I am a consultant so I always connect to my customers through VPN and RDP, and that is what I am doing in this place aswell. I am running RDP against the VC server, and running the cSphere client on the VC server. When I create a new Vm and install Windows 2008R2 everything is fine even after I install Vmwaretools, I have my mouse cursor, though choppy, but the WDDM driver usually solves that problem. But as soon as I install the WDDM driver (as I have done so many times before), the mouse cursor just disappear. I know it is working, cause I see it hover over icons on the desktop, and guessing the location I can open the menus and so on. But it simply does not appear on the screen.

I have tried uninstalling the drivers, both WDDM SVGA driver and the Vmware mousedriver and reinstalling them again, together and/or seperate, but nothing works. A brand new VM was tried again incase something freakish happend to the first, but same result there. As soon as the WDDM driver goes in, the mouse cursor is gone.

Anyone had any similar problems and solved them? I have tried looking but the only thing I find is poor performance mouse problems, which is solved 99% of the time by installing the very same WDDM dirver. But I cant find anything on THIS perticular and strange problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards, Tom

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gjacknow
Contributor
Contributor

I am on 4.0 Update2 and have seen the same problem.  If I remove the VMware mouse driver I can see the cursur again as well, but the performance is almost unusable.

I had success one time removing both and then putting them in manually where I actually pointed to the drivers.  But that did not seem repeatable.

I also am remoting to a server wher I run the Vmware client/console.  I wonder if it will do the same from my desk?  I will have to try when I am in the office.

0 Kudos
tom5
Contributor
Contributor

Finally, another person with the same issue Smiley Wink

No, it does not happen when you connect from the desktop, only if you use RDP to connect to a server where you run the VC client on. I haven't done much in the way of solving this after the initial troubleshooting, but would be nice to find an answer some day.

0 Kudos
Rob_R_
Contributor
Contributor

You can add me to the list of experiencing this annoying bug, I'm surprised there is no fix for it yet.

0 Kudos
gjacknow
Contributor
Contributor

After upgradeing from 4.0U2 to 4.1 Update1 with the latest patches, I no longer have the issue.

0 Kudos