VMware Cloud Community
muchiri
Contributor
Contributor

Consideration For Server Hardware

Hello Everyone,

Planning to purchase a server hardware for a HA environment, do i need to consider the CPU family of the new server hardware? i have Dell R740xd with 2 socket Intel(R) Xenon(R) Bronze 3104 CPU @1.7Ghz, must the new server hardware have the same CPU family?

Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Ideally yes, you have to have the same CPU model and RAM capacity. 

EVC CPU option might help you to solve your potential issues with different CPU models/generations - but why to risk? 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As your post needs moving to the area for ESXi, I have reported  it to the volunteer moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
muchiri
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Scott,

I thought i am posting to the ESXI group? 

Anyway, supposing the CPU family is no longer on market, can the next family works as well?

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

If you are not able to catch the same CPU, try the same vendor. 

Read more here about EVC here

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1005764 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your post was created in the area for ESXi on ARM (eg. Raspberry Pi) - there is a much busier area for regular ESXi, that's where I've asked the moderators to move the post to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos