VMware Cloud Community
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting to iSCSI on Windows 2012 Box

I have been trying to get iSCSI set up on my network with little success.  I set up the target on a Windows 2012 box and I can get other Windows 2012 boxes to connect but not my ESXi 5.1 box.  When I try to connect, I get a login failure event (0301) and nothing happens.  Is there anything special I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks

Bert

0 Kudos
34 Replies
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

Services.JPG

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

Good catch.  I verified that the service was enabled, but it was not started.  I'm now in using SSH.

Bert

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I managed to establish an SSH connection and all of the nc commands listed on your blog work fine.

Bert

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

BertP wrote:

OK, I managed to establish an SSH connection and all of the nc commands listed on your blog work fine.

This would mean that you have a physical connection to the iSCSI target and the specific TCP port are available from Windows. Remaining is either the access control on the iSCSI target or the iSCSI initiator configuration on the ESXi host.

While in SSH, could you run:

esxcli network ip connection list | grep 3260

and paste the result here?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

I get nothing back.

Bert

Esxcli cmd.JPG

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

I even get nothing when I spell "connection" correctly...

Bert

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

BertP wrote:

I even get nothing when I spell "connection" correctly...

Smiley Happy

If you skip the "| grep 3260" do you see other sessions listed?

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

Yup.  Too many to list.

Bert

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

But, wouldn't I only see a 3260 connection if I had a live iSCSI connection?

Bert

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

If I go into vSphere and command a rescan of the iSCSI target, I do get a single 3260 entry in response to the esxcli command, which is what I would expect, right?

Bert

Esxcli cmd2.JPG

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

BertP wrote:

But, wouldn't I only see a 3260 connection if I had a live iSCSI connection?

Yes, you would. To me this indicates that your iSCSI initiator does not manages to setup the TCP session at all. We know that it is "physically" possible through the other commands, so it would be good to look at the configuration again.

Could you post a screenshot of both the Networking tab under Configuration, and the Discovery tab on the iSCSI software adapter under Storage Adapters?

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

OK.  I only have one operating nic on this box at this time.  Would that make a difference?

Networking Tab.JPG

Discovery Tab.JPG

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

BertP wrote:

OK.  I only have one operating nic on this box at this time.  Would that make a difference?

It might make a difference. Since you have both the Management IP and the iSCSI IP on the same network there are a high chanse of the "iSCSI" vmk being not used in favor of the lower IP address on the Management interface.

Could you try to on the Windows 2012 iSCSI target (on "inititators") add the IP address of 172.33.3.10?

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

As an additional initiator or replace the current IQN with the ip address?  I did try that already, BTW, and it didn't work.  But, I can try it again.

Bert

0 Kudos
WillDB
Contributor
Contributor

you can resolve this issue by adding the IP to the storage server host file as follows

ESXIHOSTNAME.DOMAIN.COM  XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

this is cause by iSCSI trying to resolve the host on the domain

0 Kudos