VMware Cloud Community
mark_r1
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting to a vSphere server using the vSphere client

I've just watched the following video of a vSphere 5.1 install on a Windows server

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sps0O3MDPjs

At the end he did something I didn't know you needed to do or could do which was to install the vSphere client on the same machine and connect to it using his Windows credentials. I've only used the client to connect to ESXi servers up to now. However, when I try this I get an 'Unable to connect to the remote server' error no matter what login I try. What am I doing wrong here? What login does it need?

Tags (2)
4 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

He is connecting to the vCenter Server he just installed using the vSphere Client. The local Windows administrator account has the right to login with the default settings.

0 Kudos
mark_r1
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting, I don't think I've seen that in the documentation. Unfortunately I get the same error when I try to login using the local administrator password for the server. I tried ticking the user windows authentication box and typing the details in manually.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Well your error message doesn't say anything about wrong user.

Check your IP/Name of the vCenter Server you are trying to connect to in the vSphere Client and make sure the vCenter Server service is running on the Windows Server.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Select Start > Programs > VMware > VMware vSphere Client.

In the vSphere Client login window, take one of the following actions.

Option

Description

a

Type the vCenter Server IP address or host name.

b

Type your user name and password.

When you connect to the vCenter Server, use the vCenter Server IP address with your Windows login user name and password. Use the login credentials appropriate to the Windows machine on which vCenter Server is installed.

Click Login.

If you cannot connect to the vCenter Server system, start the VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices service manually. Select Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices and start the service. The service might require several minutes to start.

To ignore the security warnings that appear, click Ignore.

Security warning messages appear because the vSphere Client detects certificates signed by the ESXi host or vCenter Server system (defau

0 Kudos