VMware Cloud Community
bschrempp
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting to Host CD Burner

I have ESXi 4 loaded on an IBM 3550 with a CD/DVD Burner. I have an XP guest that I want to be able to use the host's CD drive to burn discs. It shows up fine in the guest but windows doesn't recognize it as a burner, it just looks like a standard CD ROM drive. Is this some kind of limitation I'm running into or is there a way to make this work?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't checked this with ESXi 4.x but with 3.5 it was not supported. - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003131.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Is this some kind of limitation I'm running into or is there a way to make this work?

I doubt it will EVER be supported, it's not supported now. I am trying to see how this would be a benefit.

Most people keep servers in a room locked. It's not near where you are going to be. The host machines are shared among 20 or 30 VM's at minimum. So if you could burn with a guest, how would you cooperate burning a disk? Since the servers are usually kept together, I fail to see how walking to a server, putting a blank cd in the drive, walking back to the VI Client (which is usually a laptop or desktop) and then burn the disk, then go back and retrieve the contents, is convenient.

Wouldn't it simply be easier to use DVD/CD burner attached to the same machine where you run the VI client from? That would make more sense. Most laptops and desktops come with burners, while servers typically do not.

0 Kudos
jbWiseMo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Although I am not the OP and you analysis is generally true, here is a scenario where a server side CD burner in a locked lights out datacenter makes sense:

A modern CD/DVD burner is actually a complete replacement for the historic optical WORM drives that were popular for some server tasks in the 1980s. One use for such a drive is to burn an indelible log of accounting transactions, stock trades, syslog events or other such data that must be protected from destruction by people with full (remote or near-local) control over the host and virtual machines.

In this scenario the drive would be assigned to a single virtual machine, which runs the logging and burning software. About once per day (perhaps less, perhaps more depending on data amount) a trusted person with no knowledge of the root passwords etc. would be allowed to walk into the room and swap discs, promptly depositing the retrieved disc in a one-way strongbox (like the once used for cash in robbery-proof convenience stores). If there is later suspicion of foul play (remote root compromise, insider fraud, accounting fraud, lawsuits over authorized trades etc.), a team of auditors with eyewitnesses, video cameras for evidence etc. would retrieve the relevant discs and read the audit trail.

Beware that most products currently marketed under the "WORM" term are read/write media with a "promise" that the drive firmware will refuse overwrite requests, unless the firmware is compromised (usually trivial once the system is compromised, if the attacker has studied the firmware). In contrast CD-R and DVD-R/DVD+R are physically WORM media, the only thing that can be done to written data is to irreversibly destroy the media.

0 Kudos
bschrempp
Contributor
Contributor

Most people keep servers in a room locked. It's not near where you are going to be. The host machines are shared among 20 or 30 VM's at minimum. So if you could burn with a guest, how would you cooperate burning a disk? Since the servers are usually kept together, I fail to see how walking to a server, putting a blank cd in the drive, walking back to the VI Client (which is usually a laptop or desktop) and then burn the disk, then go back and retrieve the contents, is convenient.

Wouldn't it simply be easier to use DVD/CD burner attached to the same machine where you run the VI client from? That would make more sense. Most laptops and desktops come with burners, while servers typically do not.

Well, I won't go into all the ugly details of why the scenario you outlined doesn't apply here so I'll just say that it doesn't and that this isn't a typical setup. If I could burn straight to the host device it would work like a charm for me. I'm trying to avoid using the VI client and stick to RDP sessions since this is a purely user-level function I'm addressing, but if that's what it takes then I'll try to go that route.

0 Kudos
bschrempp
Contributor
Contributor

In this scenario the drive would be assigned to a single virtual machine, which runs the logging and burning software. About once per day (perhaps less, perhaps more depending on data amount) a trusted person with no knowledge of the root passwords etc. would be allowed to walk into the room and swap discs, promptly depositing the retrieved disc in a one-way strongbox (like the once used for cash in robbery-proof convenience stores). If there is later suspicion of foul play (remote root compromise, insider fraud, accounting fraud, lawsuits over authorized trades etc.), a team of auditors with eyewitnesses, video cameras for evidence etc. would retrieve the relevant discs and read the audit trail.

My situation isn't quite like that but it is similar. I guess the bottom line is that what I'm trying to do isn't going to work but I would agree that this is a feature some folks could find useful.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

A couple of options

1) With ESXi 4.1 USB devices can be passed into virtual machines.

2) You can get a USB over IP hub, connect a USB CD writer to that and then the CD writer device you be placed with the end user, but accessible from the VM.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos