VMware Cloud Community
alexander_foti1
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting to ESXi server across VPN

Hi all

I am trying to connect to one of my esx servers across a site to site link.

When trying to connect I receive an error "timout while loading inventory".

The firewall I am connecting across is a linux box running iptables.

Any ideas?

Another host on a different subnet works (albeit over a different firewall) (monowal)

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcoem to the Community - make sure the necessary ports are open - check out http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101238... for more information on the necessary ports - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
alexander_foti1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much Smiley Happy

No ports are blocked on my VPN on either side, fully open configuration.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I had to ask - that is usually the first thing I check. It then sounds like a time out problem - you can change the amount of the time the VI client will wait before failing - I believe default is 30 seconds you might double that - it is one of the configuration parameters in the vi client

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Not sure if this is an option to you, or not, but how about connecting to a desktop over at the other site and running the vSphere Client on that to connect to the then local ESXi host? You could even make a VM on that other host to run the client. I actually do this for my virtual environment at home. I have a VM on my host that I use to run the vSphere Client on, to administrate the host server. As long as you don't need to reboot the host, that will work just fine. If you do need to reboot the host, then have another system you can connect with the vSphere Client (or just use that one for all of it)...

I'm not even using a VPN tunnel to do this, simply using RDP to the VM at home. Of course, I've locked it down as tight as possible, using domain login credentials (yes, I have an AD DC at home).

0 Kudos
alexander_foti1
Contributor
Contributor

The main aim of this is to keep the managment cetralised, we are managing 5 esx hosts, 3 are in 1 location and other other 2 are in seperate locations again.

Its only this last one im having trouble with, and im determined to get it remotely managable Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
notrobb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, were you ever able to resolve this issue with ESXi and the VPN? I'm experiencing the same thing!!

0 Kudos