VMware Cloud Community
ryanapexn
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting to ESXi 4 with vSphere failing from Vista Ultimate 64

Hi All,

As a long time user of VMWare Server I decided to trial ESXi.

I installed the host server and eagerly opened the browser and installed the vsphere client 4.0.

I attempted to connect to my new server, was warned of the certificate, obviously ignored it and was hit with a "unable to connect" error. I searched forums and google for hours only to find some people having similar issues with no resolution. I then installed the client on a Vista ultimate 32 laptop and it worked perfectly first go.

I looked into the clients error logs and was able to retrieve the following information:

VirtualInfrastructure.Exceptions.ConnectionError: The request failed because of a connection failure. (Unable to connect to the remote server)

System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server

Server stack trace:

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

Exception rethrown at :

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

at VirtualInfrastructure.Soap.SoapWebRequest.OnGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult result)

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced

at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)

• End of inner exception stack trace ---

To me it looks like an issue with the .NET framework or something?

Can anyone at all shed any light for me?!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you may be able to search for a workaround solution, but as of now Vista Ultimate is not compatible with the vSphere Cient.

Windows Vista Business

Windows Vista Enterprise

Windows Vista Business 64-Bit

0 Kudos
ryanapexn
Contributor
Contributor

While I realise it's not on the official list, I was hoping there was someone out there that had found a work around for this?

I have found a number of threads with the Windows 7 Workarounds, but none of them work either.

I have reinstalled, registry stripped, reinstalled .NET frameworks, etc etc everything and it just doesn't work Smiley Sad

Vista Ultimate 32 OK, Ultimate 64 not Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

there was a workaround for x64 in general for the 2.5 client, maybe it will work for the vSphere Client running on your x64 Vista OS

http://www.dabcc.com/article.aspx?id=6826

0 Kudos
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well, it might be not supported, but the vSphere clients works fine here on Vista Ultimate x64 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ryanapexn
Contributor
Contributor

I just disabled IPV6 in the hope that was the issue, but it wasn't I still cannot connect.

What I don't understand is, the connection works fine, grabs the SSL cert and then dies Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
stuten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had this problem and after looking at the logs I found references to loading plugins (which is the step on loading client when it disappears). I noticed in the logs the path was at the VIC level (not under a version) which means it appears that the old and new version share the same plugin directory (seems odd). Long story short, I renamed the plugins directory and the client launched fine. I'm running 64 bit Vista Ultimate.

It may have nothing to do with your problem, but you might want to check it out.

0 Kudos
dgrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64bit with VC 2.5 and 4.0 installed. Once I installed plugins for the 4.0 client the 4.0 client would start to bring up the home page and then close as reported above. After seeing this thread I uninstalled both clients and reinstalled both without doing plugins and both work concurrently. I then installed the Update Manager plugin in the 4.0 client. Restarted the 4.0 client and it came up. Seems fine. I can deal without the plugins for 2.5 on this machine as the upgrade is happening soon.

I'd like to know the difference between Vista Business/Enterprise and Ultimate that would make Ultimate unsupported and if there are other issues running the client under Vista64 Ultimate that I haven't hit yet.

0 Kudos