VMware Cloud Community
PeterRTVS
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting hosts over iSCSI...

Hi,

I try to build my own lab and have get for it some older Dell PowerEdge 1950 servers on which are running ESXi 6.0.

There are also installed LSI fiber channel card and the Qlogic iSCSI card too.

My question is if is possible to connect the hosts over the iSCSI that it looks as hispeed ethernet and I can use it for HA or later install of the vSAN.

If is possible, can you write me how is it possible, while now I see all cards in it in the PCI Devices and the iSCSI card I see also in the Storage adapters. I will see it as a network adapter that I can use it in dswitch for the HA and vSAN as I wrote above.

Thanks for help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I don't know what you are trying to do, what do you mean with connecting hosts over iSCSI? You connect hosts to eachother via network cards, not via iSCSI?

0 Kudos
PeterRTVS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

While they are older servers, I dont have the 10Gb ethernet cards for it, but there are installed this iSCSI HBA's which has 10Gb. So I will use it as a replacement for using it for some parts of using (vSAN and HA).

Therefor I ask if is possible to connect servers with ESXi 6.0 over the iSCSI together, that I can install there vSAN and HA.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

if you have cards which support normal network traffic, sure, then it should work, as long as the card is on our HCL. But that really depends on the card. So you will have to check with the vendor of the card.

0 Kudos
PeterRTVS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

its Qlogic QLA405Xc with two 10Gb RJ45 ports.

I know that in standard linux or win PC's is it possible to configure it as a normal 10Gb network and connect it over switches witch support 10Gb over RJ45.

0 Kudos