VMware Cloud Community
davercyclone
Contributor
Contributor

Connect vSphere Client over Internet

Hi All,

I have a customer who wishes me to manage his ESXi Server over the Internet. He has one VM running on it with RDP currently forwarded through the hosted firewall. I know I can install the vSphere Client on this VM, but when it comes to making configuration changes with the VM powered down I don't see a way of doing this. I am not happy to open up all the required ports on their Firewall as it opens up security holes.

Is there something simple I am missing here that could solve these problems?

Regards,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Can you do any sort of VPN access with the hosted firewall? If not, then the cost of dropping in a simple VPN device isn't that much if you're going to support the host long term.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I don't blame you for not wanting to open up those ports. Are there any terminal servers in the environment you can install the client to or maybe just request VPN access and then run the client?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
davercyclone
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm, VPN access could be an option. I'll check with the ISP and find out. Dropping a box in isn't really an option as they only have the one Server running in a VM.

Thanks,

0 Kudos