VMware Cloud Community
swiftsmart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Connect two VSphere ESXi 5.0 with crossover cable

Hello everyone! Quite a newbie in the ESXi 5.0 :smileysilly:

I have configured two VSphere ESXi 5.0 servers with two network cards on each server, the first NIC acts as a virtual switch to the Internet, and the other NIC solely acts as the communication link (Heartbeat) between two VSphere Esxi 5.0 using crossover cable.

My question is, how can I create such switch in VSphere for the sake of communication between these 2 servers with a crossover cable? I would like to connect my VMs (CentOS 6) on each server via this network card with crossover cable for the purpose of heartbeat communication. I know how to create a normal vSwitch which can communicate with the Internet but I have no idea how to create a switch for those NICs connected with a crossover cable.

Please drop me a line if you know how. Smiley Wink

P.S. The whole idea of using crossover cable instead of using plain ethernet cable is that the crossover cable eliminates overhead and avoid missing packets because of the processing time of switch.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I know how to create one with ordinary vSwitch to connect with the Internet but not this vSwitch with crossover cable.

There's no difference. Build a vSwitch like your normally would and include the NIC connected via crossover cable as your uplink.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use cross cable.

But dedicate them on a vSwitch with a single NIC (the one with the crossed cable).

Of course is not scalable with more hosts.

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
swiftsmart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre. Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry that I am quite a newbie with ESxi 5. How can I do it exactly in the VMWare VSphere Client? I know how to create one with ordinary vSwitch to connect with the Internet but not this vSwitch with crossover cable.

Thanks for the help. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I know how to create one with ordinary vSwitch to connect with the Internet but not this vSwitch with crossover cable.

There's no difference. Build a vSwitch like your normally would and include the NIC connected via crossover cable as your uplink.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
swiftsmart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, chriswahl. I will try it tonight! Smiley Happy

I got it! Thanks, chriswahl.

0 Kudos