VMware Cloud Community
Linog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Connect host CD-ROM to VM on HP BL460

Hi all!

I have a problem with connecting host CD-ROM to VM on BL460. I connect CD-ROM to ESX host, select device type on VM to "Host Device /dev/scd0", set "Connect at power on" and "Connected" on "Device status" but CD-ROM didn't connected t oVM. I checked VM's settings again and find unmarked filed "Connected". I set it again, click OK, but again nothing! I connected to ESX, checked CD-ROM - all ok, all necessery lynks exists, I could mount CD-ROM.

What is problem with connecting host device to VM and why field "Connected" reset?

Problem exist for any VM.

ESX 4.0.0 164009

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ok, so now add your cerom as scsi pass through as we will not follow MS:) and it should work but you will not able to boot your vm through that cd, if you need so then use iso

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

are you able to mount your cd to service console??

0 Kudos
Linog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can mount CD-ROM from service console (mount /dev/cdrom). I try "ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/scd0" but It already existed.

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

is it connected to scd0?? whcih is your cdrom is it SATA or IDE?? try to retsrt your host ..

0 Kudos
Linog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is external USB DVD-ROM. Virtual Center setup device alias as /dev/scd0 automaticly, I can't write any other device in this field. I don't want to reboot host, it's a microsoft way (reboot host if any problem occured). CD-ROM work great on other server (simular HP BL460 with ESX 3.5u4).

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This is one of the reasons why I don't connect host cdroms - I always just connect the guest CD Drive to an iso image - works everytime!

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ok, so now add your cerom as scsi pass through as we will not follow MS:) and it should work but you will not able to boot your vm through that cd, if you need so then use iso

0 Kudos
Linog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, thanks for you help.

0 Kudos