VMware Cloud Community
kenp55
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Connect ESXi 4 Update 1 dell customized server to MD3000i SAN with iSCSI

Hi,

I'm brand new to VMware ESX/ESXi products and for the most part, SANs. I have configured a few VMs with Server 1 and 2. I'm trying to connect an ESXi 4 virtual server to a SAN and am starting to get very confused about what I can and can't do. I'm hoping someone here can break it down for me as I could not find the answer to my exact questions.

Here's how I'm setup:

I have a Dell PowerEdge R710 with ESXi 4 Update 1 "Dell customized" (whatever that means) installed on it.

I have a Dell MD3000i SAN using iSCSI with a dedicated virtual disk pre-configured.

I would like to create VMs on said virtual disk.

I think ESXi 4 is completely free.

It seems like to manage the server, I need to use 1 of 2 products. The Vsphere client or the VMware Go web app.

If I use Vsphere:

I have the option to add a storage type through the UI.

I'm on a 60 day evaluation. I thought this was all free.

If I configure my iSCSI through Vsphere and then the eval expires.. what happens? Does everything blow up on me and then I have to buy a license to get it back?

If I use VMware go:

It seems like I have really no options to do any kind of iSCSI configuration in VMware Go. Do I?

I also have a XenServer set up in this manner and it is all free. I wanted to try VMware's bare-metal solution but now I'm wondering if I'm going to have to go back to Xen.

Can someone please relieve me of my confusion before I pull the plug on this experiment. Perhaps direct me toward the appropriate documentation on how to configure what I need with what I have at the free-est possible cost.

Thank you very much for your feedback and have a wonderful weekend!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would go through Webcast QuickStart and Webcast ESXi Webstart to help getting a better understanding.

Here is a configuration guide for the MD3000i http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/esx_storage_deployment_guide_v1.pdf

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you downloaded the ESXi software you should have been shown a license number. Just log back in to re download the software. The license key will be towards the the top of the page. Enter the number in the Configuration tab. Since this is just fresh you can switch back and forth between Registered and Evaluation up until the 60 days have expired. The vSphere Client is free as well and will show that once you have entered the license key.

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would go through Webcast QuickStart and Webcast ESXi Webstart to help getting a better understanding.

Here is a configuration guide for the MD3000i http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/esx_storage_deployment_guide_v1.pdf

0 Kudos
kenp55
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is fantastic. All my questions answered in 30 minutes on this forum. Thanks!

0 Kudos