Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Connect ESX host as datastore on another ESX host

Hello,

supposing to have this scenario:

ESX host 1: esx1

ESX host 2: esx2

is it possibile to mount esx2 datastore into esx1? (For example: via NFS). Of course it's possible use an intermediary NAS/SAN but I wonder if it is possible perform a direct mount.

Thank you

Eddie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well, to let another host to share local datastore, the host must be able to act as NFS server. The problem is, there is no service in any of ESX version which able to serve that. So, like what a.p said, no, this is not possible.

http://www.no-x.org

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

no this does not work. In order to present local storage to another host you'd need something like the VSA.

André

athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well, to let another host to share local datastore, the host must be able to act as NFS server. The problem is, there is no service in any of ESX version which able to serve that. So, like what a.p said, no, this is not possible.

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
Eddie_C_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for reply.

So I would have the same problem even trying to connect the other ESX Datastore as iSCSI, right?

Thank you

Eddie

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You would need to setup a VM to present the storage as iSCSI/NFS to the other host(s)...

Personally, I wouldn't do it. IF you need more storage/space, then get an actual SAN/NAS and have shared storage. You'll gain additional benefits from having the storage independant of the hosts. Not the least of which it won't matter if the host that has that storage is online, or not, to use it. If this is a lab configuration, then you could go with something fairly cheap, such as a QNAP array. If this is in a work/production environment/configuration, then you'll want something more robust, reliable, and with a solid support structure. You'll also want to use a RAID level that will not bugger you if you lose a drive, or two.

In my experience, work/production environment storage needs to be online 24x7. Even if there are times when the array won't be accessed (maintenance windows) it's best to have something that can stay online 24x7. I have a QNAP array in my home lab that's been running for a few years now (24x7) and has only had a single drive failure (5 drives, set up in a RAID 5 array). Fortunately, I had planned that I could have a drive go south, so I had a spare on hand. Since they were still under warranty, I was able to get a replacement drive (to replace my cold spare) easily.

Eddie_C_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you golddiggie,

yes the shared storage has more sense, I was just curious about this possibility.

Thanks to everybody for replies

Eddie

0 Kudos