VMware Cloud Community
yoshiishi
Contributor
Contributor

Connect 2 host wihout vlan

Hi,

Hope someone can point me to the right direction. I have 2 esx host connected to 1 vlan. Am not using share storage at the moment so all vm' s are stored

localy in each host. Am using standard edition. Each host machine has 2 NIC, so currently 1 nic is connected to the vlan and the other is not.

Is it possible to connect the 2nd nic for each machine directly to one another (instead of going through another vlan) and use it to move the vm's from one host to another instead?

I was thinking of doing this, so that the transfer rate would be faster, ie direct from 1 machine to another instead of going throught the vlan which take sometime.

Hope you understand my question and able to point to me the right direction on how I can configure the host to be able to do this.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

How much data do to you have to move and how are you moving it?  There's some overhead with a VLAN but I would stick with just using that network.  Use VMware Converter or an eval of vCenter and it'll make the move fairly easy.

0 Kudos
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As long as you have gigabit ethernet then your through put on the LAN should be very good and not need to worry.

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
0 Kudos
yoshiishi
Contributor
Contributor

As this is a new setup wihout any shared storage, I am looking at maybe having a copy of some of the vms in the 2nd host as a backup.

As the setup is not finalised yet, was thinking if it will be feasable to maybe do some kind of schedule to copy the vms from 1 host to another as a form

of backup in case any of the host is down. That way there wont be much down time. The vm is used as an application server, so no real time data to worry about. The size of the vm is about 30GB.

0 Kudos
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you have the resources to have a hot stand by then that sounds fine.  I think Veeam do a replicator product.

Otherwise have you looked at VMware's backup tool, vDR?

http://www.vmware.com/products/data-recovery/

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
yoshiishi
Contributor
Contributor

Thans Stu_McHugh, . In terms of network, I have vcenter and I was thinking of creating a schedule task in vcenter to copy the vms and moving the copied vm using a dedicated network, connected directly to the other host, bypassing physical/vlan networks, dedicate only for moving the vms?

I cannot seem to find any resource that would indicate its possible.

0 Kudos
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't think you can setup a task in vCenter to do that.  You could post a question in the PowerCli part of the forum and ask what the code would be to do it from there but it would be a Windows scehdulled task.

samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First of all, you can create a Virtual SAN and use the local storage as SAN.

So you can have benefits of iSCSI SAN and the features of vmware too.

On the other hand you can use VDR and have backup of the first host on the second host and vice versa.

For more info please check: http://vsaman.blogspot.com/2010/12/virtual-san-solution-for-vmware-vsphere.html

If these information is useful would u please mark it as "Helpful" or "Correct"?

0 Kudos