VMware Cloud Community
MLCatRDP
Contributor
Contributor

Confused about ESXi 5.1 VM Memory Usage

I am really confused about what I was just told by support on the phone.  Maybe it was some of the language barrier between myself and tech support, so I'm posting on here for some follow up.  Just for info sake, I have 2 ESXi hosts.  Each has 96GB of memory.  Today I added the 2nd host to my environment and the 2nd host was pre-installed with 5.1, so I upgraded my original host form 5.0 to 5.1.  The upgrade process went fine, no problems/errors.  I went to power back on the VM's on my original host, and I was getting the error: "A general system error occurred:  The virtual machine could not start".  I phone into tech support and 45 minutes later of him troubleshooting he tells me that I was trying to use too much memory on my VM's.  On my host I had 3 VM's.  1 set to use 4GB, 1 to use 4GB, and another to use 48GB.  He told me I needed to reduce the amount of memory used in the 48GB host to 30GB and that would fix the problem.  I didn't believe him, but we reduced the memory and sure enough everything worked again.  I asked why we had to reduce the memory and he said you can only use 1/2 of the memory in your server.  That made absolutely no sense to me, why can you only use 1/2 of the memory?  Furthermore, before the upgrade I was using almost 85GB of my 96GB of memory on that host.  I have sense moved over some of my VM's onto my new host.

Can someone please clarify why I am only able to use 1/2 of the memory available on my ESXi servers, and why I was able to use 95% of it in ESXi 5.0 but not 5.1 ?

16 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To be honest, I never heard of such a limitation until now. What I could think of is that this might be related to HA!? Do the hosts run in an HA cluster? How is Admission Control configured?

André

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Even I think there is no such limitation , unless if you have reserved specific percentage of resources for fail over .

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you provide me the SR no for me to check in the logs if any?

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Imagine:
You have two hosts

You have configured HA admission control to reserve enough resources to allow one full host to fail. Alternatively you have "reserve resources for one host to fail".

In this configuration, you can only use half of your memory. Definitely poorly explained however.

MLCatRDP
Contributor
Contributor

I only have the essential plus license so I can't really use FT.  Where do I adjust the memory reserve settings?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Goto your cluster and click on edit settings and then check the screenshot on the link. http://windowsitpro.com/virtualization/q-whats-vmware-high-availability-ha-admission-control

0 Kudos
MLCatRDP
Contributor
Contributor

I must be blind, I don't see any "edit settings" options for my cluster.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Right click the Cluster in the inventory. You will then see "Edit Settings ..." in the Windows based vSphere Client, or just "Settings" in the Web Client.

André

0 Kudos
MLCatRDP
Contributor
Contributor

Here's my menu when I right click

vmware_submenu.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This looks like the pop-up menu for the Datacenter, not the one for the Cluster, which should be directly below the Datacenter in the "Hosts and Clusters" view.

André

0 Kudos
MLCatRDP
Contributor
Contributor

It appears we never created a cluster.

0 Kudos
MLCatRDP
Contributor
Contributor

Since we don't have a cluster setup, it couldn't be a cluster setting causing this issue, correct?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This is a quite strange issue. Do you have the same issue with the new host too? Has the first host been added to a cluster before (maybe some stale configuration)?

The only other issue I can think of why the VM would not power on, is the lack of free disk space on the datasstore to create the VM's swap file!?

André

0 Kudos
MLCatRDP
Contributor
Contributor

We've never had a cluster & I'm the only one that works with vmware.

My new host is currently running at about 30% memory utilization so I can't say for sure if it would have the same problem.  I can create a fake VM later and test.

I have plenty of free space on the data-store, 3TB.

0 Kudos
rh5592
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you check your upgraded ESXi server if its showing 96GB RAM after the upgrade? I'd encountered a strange issue before wherein after an upgrade the server only shows half of the maximum available RAM. It was due to Advanced Memory Protection being enabled (dont know how it happened). With AMP,  BIOS treated half of the RAM as online spare.

Regards. ================================================= "If found useful, kindly mark answers Correct or Helpful " http://rh5592.com =================================================
0 Kudos
MLCatRDP
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure where you want me to look besides here?

vmware_esx01.png

0 Kudos