VMware Cloud Community
defrogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Confirm Network Bandwidth needs

Hello, Just want to confirm im understanding things about what im reading under Performance/Networking

We plan on creating a DR Site,  Currently have Vsphere 5.5 with 5 hosts.  One of things im trying to figure out is networking.  Our current environment is running on Cisco UCS so the hosts are running there Nics at 20gbps.  This definitely seems like overkill for the DR site.  So the plan is to just have a couple hosts in the DR site and im trying to figure out what Nics or what speed I should be using.  1 gig or 10 Gig Ethernet. 

If I look at each host in Vsphere and goto Performance and Networking, I can see the Usage of the Nics.  The Highest Usage for a week is 25Mmps and that's a short spike, the average for each host is between 600kbps and 1.1Mbps.  

So looking at this im thinking if I put 1 Gig Ethernet nics in the hosts and nic team them I should be fine.  10 Gig Ethernet definitely seems like overkill and more expensive.

Im I Analyzing this right or am I missing something?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes 1 GB should be fine and do not forget to design for redundancy -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes 1 GB should be fine and do not forget to design for redundancy -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
defrogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for confirming

0 Kudos