VMware Cloud Community
junior466
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Configuring syslog on a different port

I am trying to send my Esxi hosts logs to a Graylog server listening on port 8514 and while I can configure the host to send it on this port, I am having a tough time configuring the firewall to allow the outgoing traffic. By simply enabling the firewall required in the host only allows outgoing on 514. How do I change it to 8514 in my case?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@junior466 ,

The link you posted should be good as well. 

VMware KB provided earlier still works. Try accessing this --> https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2005304 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @junior466 ,

This can be configured by specifying the port number along with the syslog server address in ESXi host's syslog configuration. Syslog.global.logHost:  tcp://hostname:514 or udp://hostname:514 or ssl://hostname:514

Please refer these articles -->  Configuring syslog on ESXi   &  Adding a third-party firewall extension to ESXi 

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
junior466
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@ashilkrishnan Sorry for the late reply. I configured Syslog.global.logHost as needed but need to create a custom rule for port 8514 but that link you posted is not working. I found this article but not sure if it's the correct way.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@junior466 ,

The link you posted should be good as well. 

VMware KB provided earlier still works. Try accessing this --> https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2005304 

0 Kudos
junior466
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@ashilkrishnan Thanks! I got it working. I followed the KB and created a simple .XML file with the required port without having to edit the original. Is it default behavior for it not to persist after reboot? I noticed that my custom .XML file is deleted after restarting the host.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Glad to hear that. Save those article's and procedures for next time.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem

0 Kudos