VMware Cloud Community
MikeChavez
Contributor
Contributor

Configuring iSCSI Port Binding with Different Speed Nics?

Hi Everyone,

I have a vCenter server 5.5 with ESXi 5.5 hosts.  I have an iSCSI storage unit.

I'm setting up a few new ESXi hosts.  These hosts have four 1/Gbit NICs on the motherboard and four 10/Gbit NICs on a PCI card.  To retain functionality in the event of a PCI outage, I was thinking about one of the following configurations:

One 1Gbit + one 10Gbit port used for VM traffic.

One 1Gbit + one 10Gbit used for iSCSI traffic using port binding.

Question: I've configured iSCSI port binding before, but never with different speed NICs.  Is this possible or supported?

If not, I was planning on using a 10Gbit port as a primary iSCSI and a 1Gbit as a failover.  Is this possible or supported?

Thank you for your help!

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Paltelkalpesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am using the same scenario but different is, we configured  two 10G NIC in same switch-01 port group which is connected with ISCSI storage through ISCSI switch.( you don't required switch,if you have maximum only two hosts)

All devices which we have been using should have 10G NIC for route traffic else you will not get exact result.

below mention url will help to understand network routing best practice in VMware.

http://vmwaremine.com/2011/10/04/networking-configuration-for-esx-ot-esxi-part-1/#sthash.wd0IvPOw.dp...

0 Kudos