VMware Cloud Community
franz_T
Contributor
Contributor

Configuring boot order in template

Hello community,

we have a problem with our templates using windows server as OS and Paravirtual as boot controller.

The problem is if we deploy out template and add later in running state a HDD on a second controller (lets say on SCSI (1:0)) then the server wont reboot anymore.

This is because of the HDD bootorder in BIOS of the VM (VMware KB: Virtual machine cannot boot when controller type for the operating system and data drive ...

So in the VMware KB there is a little well working fix for this problem:
Add this line to the .vmx file: bios.hddOrder = "scsi0:0"

But this just works if you edit the .vmx file of a VM and not if you want to integrate this in a template.

If I convert the VM to a template than this line bios.hddOrder = "scsi0:0" disappears in the .vmtx file.

Also if I write it manually in the .vmtx file after deploy from this template the line is not in the deployed .vmx file from the VM.

Is there any chance to get this working with a template, cause its very annoying changing every .vmx file for new VM's!

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
franz_T
Contributor
Contributor

So there is no solution for this problem?
I'm realy surprised that we are the only one which have this problem...

0 Kudos
MarVista
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Hope you have tried below method to change the boot order.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201165...

Yours,
Mar Vista

0 Kudos
OzerS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You are not the only one. but most people dont use pvscsi on OS disk since you wont see many benefit. Data disks usually better since most i/o would be Data disk.

Ozzy

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

This is KB for changing the boot order of virtual machine

using vmx options.

Try to use it.

VMware KB: Changing the boot order of a virtual machine using vmx options

Take care!

0 Kudos