VMware Cloud Community
rellis123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Configuring VMware vSphere 6.0 VMware Certificate Authority as a subordinate Certificate Authority

I'm attempting to do this as per kb

It always fails. The error message I'm getting looks like this in the logs:

2016-07-12T17:52:24.720Z ERROR certificate-manager 2016-07-12T17:52:20.636Z   Updating certificate for "com.vmware.vim.eam" extension

2016-07-12T17:52:24.720Z ERROR certificate-manager Error while performing Cert Replacement operation, please see /var/log/vmware/vmcad/certificate-manager.log for more information.

2016-07-12T17:52:24.720Z ERROR certificate-manager {

"resolution": null,

"detail": [

{

"args": [

"2016-07-12T17:52:20.636Z   Updating certificate for \"com.vmware.vim.eam\" extension\n"

],

"id": "install.ciscommon.command.errinvoke",

"localized": "An error occurred while invoking external command : '2016-07-12T17:52:20.636Z   Updating certificate for \"com.vmware.vim.eam\" extension\n'",

"translatable": "An error occurred while invoking external command : '%(0)s'"

},

"Error in updating certificate for solution: com.vmware.vim.eam"

],

"componentKey": null,

"problemId": null

}

2016-07-12T17:52:24.721Z INFO certificate-manager Performing rollback of Root Cert...

This is on vSphere 6.0U2 with the corresponding VCSA (not Windows vCenter)

Among the things I have tried:

•      Using a unique Name for each .cfg when creating the CSR
  •      Modifying the eam .properties file to remove the "localhost" entry and replacing it with an FQDN

Whatever may be said, it doesn't work the way they say it should in the KB. I have been meticulous and this is a brand new installation.

I am using option (2)  - i.e. the option to replace the Root certificate with a Microsoft-signed custom cert and then have the VCSA generate all the remaining certificates.

I have a VMWare Support Case pending. Just wondered if anyone has any ideas.

Oh - I have also tried the naming conventions mentioned here, which didn't make any difference either:

Initial setup of VCSA... AD Intergration... Had to replace certs. Now VCSA not available from web...

At a loss.

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rellis123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Following a support case, the answer is: scrap your VCSA and create a new one :smileyshocked:

It seems that if you use option 2 on a clean install, you can corrupt your SSL certificates and kiss goodbye to your VCSA (unless you have snapshots of it) :smileycry:

The recommendation I now have to use option 1 instead.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rellis123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Following a support case, the answer is: scrap your VCSA and create a new one :smileyshocked:

It seems that if you use option 2 on a clean install, you can corrupt your SSL certificates and kiss goodbye to your VCSA (unless you have snapshots of it) :smileycry:

The recommendation I now have to use option 1 instead.

0 Kudos