VMware Cloud Community
Solidbrass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Configuring Sphere Update Manager 6, preventing an ESXi 5.5 host from being upgraded

So I have three questions I'm hoping for some help with as I just finished building a 2k8r2 box and getting the update manager installed, and the plug in installed in my host management windows VM.

First, even when logged in as an admin (verified that my admin account has all permissions), I don't see the update manager tab in the web client when I select a host and then choose monitor.  I've tried logging out and back in, have not tried rebooting the vCenter server yet.  Is there something I'm missing here?

Second, I have an ESXi 5.5 host that I only want to receive security/maintenance patches, I do not want it to upgrade the host to ESXi6 as that will break some things.  How should I manage baselines to deal with this?

Finally as the above may have made obvious, if anyone knows of a good walkthrough for an update manager n00b setting up baselines, I'd be appreciative.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

1.) Update Manager is currently only fully supported in the Windows based vSphere Client.

2.) There are different baselines for Upgrades (e.g. v5.5 to v6.0) and Update/Patches. As long as you only attach update/patch baselines to this host it will not be upgraded.

3.) For walkthroughs you can find several videos at e.g. vmware update manager baseline - YouTube

André

0 Kudos