VMware Cloud Community
vParker
Contributor
Contributor

Configuring Management Changes don't Stick

I am ilo'd into one of my blade hosts running Esxi 4.1

I cannot seem to get my changes in Ip configuration to stick. Well, it seems to be sporadic.  I change the IP address, subnet mask and gateway, the mask will sometimes stick, the gateway always sticks, but the ip address just stays the same after I click 'Y' to save my changes. very frustrating.  Is this an issue with the management software or am i doing something wrong???

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

You using root, right ?

Check if you select Static IP, and try too restart agent of this server.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003490

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
vParker
Contributor
Contributor

ahhh....yes root.  I have tried this - no success. 

Today I am reinstalling ESXi on this blade.  Luckily we are losing only one guest production vm that was fairly new and can be rebuilt.  but it begs a serious question.... what do you do when you can't connect to a host through the management network.  How do you manage/move/backup guest vm's to another blade from the command line???  How do you power them up?  perhaps thats another thread... but seriously...not impressed.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi vParker,

You reinstall, and works ? You just check if your problem isn´t VLAN ID or network in blade switch ?

in this case, without network, without access may you can do backup with external disk usb - http://www.vladan.fr/plug-in-the-external-usb-drive-to-esx-server-directly-to-backup-or-copy/

This might is a possible solution for you.

Good Luck

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos