VMware Cloud Community
rawsi
Contributor
Contributor

Configuring ESXi on a dedicated server with IPv6

Hey guys,

I am relatively new to ESXi but am having some difficulties configuring ESXi with only 1 IPv4, 1 IPv6 address and 1 NIC. My plan is to use IPv6 for the management of the ESXi host to begin with whilst I set up a PfSense VM with the IPv4 address. Once that is all up and running I plan to run the ESXi management on the internal network behind PfSense.

The issue I have is that by default once I install the OS that is given to me by my provider it has a few defaults which can be seen here:

f0930740c3d92896d070a86d16d08b24.png

My plan was to add a second vSwitch with a VMKernel IPv6 port like below:

Capture.PNG

Finally I was going to add the commands below to the rc.local file as I expect to lose connection whilst they run. The idea of these commands was to move the vmnic to the new vSwitch, remove the old VMKernel port and then delete and add the necessary routes. Finally I set the main gateway to the IPv6 gateway.

esxcli network vswitch standard uplink remove --uplink-name vmnic0 --vswitch-name vSwitch0

esxcli network vswitch standard uplink add --uplink-name vmnic0 --vswitch-name vSwitch1

esxcli network ip interface remove -i vmk0

esxcli network ip route ipv4 remove --network default --gateway Current IPv4 Gateway

esxcli network ip route ipv6 add --network default --gateway IPv6 Gateway

esxcfg-route IPv6 Gateway

Any advice would be great as I'm not sure this works. Hopefully someone out there can help me! Smiley Happy

Thanks.

0 Kudos
0 Replies