VMware Cloud Community
mc6255699
Contributor
Contributor

Configure Redundant Links to Shared SAS datastore?

Hello,

We have 2 esxi hosts and 1 HP p2000 G3 SAS array.

This array has 2 raid controllers, each with 4 sas slots and luns can be seen by both hosts. 

Right now we have each host connected to a different controller , but would like to configure redundant links so each host connects to each of the 2 raid controllers in the shared storage unit.

So right how

Host 1     -  Array controller 1

Host 2     -  Array controller 2

We'd lik e

Host 1 - Array controller 1

Host 1 - Array controller 2

Host 2 - Array controller 1

Host 2 - Array controller 2

Is this just a matter of plugging in the extra cables from host to controller? or are there any datastore pathway settings or esxi host config settings we need to use first?

All of our equipment is on the HCL .

I can try just plugging in the extra cables but I can't find any guides or anything on configuring one connection as a failover in case a controller fails, or in most cases needs to be restarted.

Anyone done this?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SG1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thats right -- once you make sure from the storage array that LUNs are visible across both the controllers to the hosts - once you cable the hosts properly - in esxcfg-mpath -l you should be able to see ESX showing two different paths to each LUN

if that is not the case then it is a problem -- you will need to then troubleshoot the multipathing ...I would suggest  to try this on LUNs which have no valid data - i.e by first unmasking the real LUNs and make sure it works with test LUNs.

hope this helps

~Sai Garimella

0 Kudos